University Job Title: Accountant 2
Bargaining Unit: None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile: Supervisor; Senior Associate (22)
Work Location: Medical School Campus
Worksite Address: 100 Church Street South New Haven, CT 06519
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Accounting/ Financial
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Work Days/Hours (Other than Standard)
Under direction and supervision of the Operations Manager, provide a high level of financial and administrative support to a multi-department business office supporting the YSM Central Research Cores including Yale Center for Cellular and Molecular Imaging and W.M. Keck Foundation Biotechnology Resource Laboratory, a complex Internal Service Provider (ISP) serving customers both at Yale and internationally. This position will also support the Yale Center for Medical Informatics.
Prepare annual budgets and monthly monitoring with guidance and final approval from Operations Manager; prepare specialized financial reports concerning the status of accounts with respect to planning, implement adjustments as needed.
Function as the $1K financial approver for all cost centers and serve as a departmental resource for Workday.
Prepare standardized and specialized monthly financial reports and analyses using Workday, Excel, Data Warehouse, Brio, Yale Budget Tool (YBT) and Workday Account Holder Reports. Ensure accuracy and completeness of data.
Assist faculty with all phases of grant preparation (proposal through final report). Assist with the coordination of funding applications, including federal and non-federal research proposals and contracts. Prepare grant application budgets. Advise and assist faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows in applying for grants and contracts. Ensure compliance with funding agencies, university and departmental policies. Alert faculty and staff to deadlines and respond to funding agency requests.
Prepare annual rate analysis for YSM Central Research Core ISP’s to determine rates.
Perform monthly expenditure monitoring, determine budgetary constraints, identify areas of excessive and/or under-utilization of funds. Conduct monthly account review meetings with Principal Investigators to identify and resolve any issues and provide future long and short term budgetary guidance.
Prepare detailed cost and financial analyses, forecasts and projections utilizing the University systems (i.e., Workday, YBT, Brio, Account Holder reports).
Manage effort allocations under the direction of PIs and supervisors. Serve as the pre and post reviewer for the University effort reporting process. Using Workday, maintain Faculty, Postdoc, M&P, C&T and casual staff assignments.
Review account holder reports to verify accuracy of transactions and ensure compliance with university and sponsor guidelines. If needed, enter correcting entries in Workday by using the Journal Entry or Payroll Accounting Adjustment (PAA) applications.
Reconcile and analyze monthly financial reports. Ensure expenditures are being charged to proper accounts with complete supporting documentation. Identify, research and correct questionable expenditures and follow-up with appropriate parties to ensure compliance with University and Federal accounting policies and procedures.
Coordinate the collection of information/documentation for the faculty merit and M&P merit/FOCUS processes.
Provide ad hoc support to the Operations Manager as needed including, expenditure analysis and projections.
- Financial Analysis and Reporting: Analyzes information and creates accurate and timely reports that add value to the management of University operations. Applies GAAP to report out on financial conditions. Ensures financial reporting meets the compliance needs of internal and external users. Extracts data from multiple sources.
- Financial Methods and Systems: Recommends methods to improve practices, processes and systems. Works with internal and external contacts to carry out department objectives. Provides a high level of service that cultivates and maintains strong working relationships and effectively communicates information; takes ownership and accountability for timeliness, accuracy and relationship management.
- Accounting and Reconciliation: Accurately records enterprise or subsystem transactions to balance sheets, income statements, and other financial records. Performs reconciliations; navigates through systems and reporting tools to independently resolve routine and non-routine discrepancies. Applies entries to the general ledger or subsystems and ensures adherence to GAAP, regulatory requirements and financial reporting considerations. Communicates effectively to unit leadership.
- Strategic Resource: Translates unit finance objectives into priorities. Reports financial issues and risks and makes recommendations. Contacts appropriate stakeholders to include in communications and approvals.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Establishes, implements and/or maintains strong internal controls in areas of assigned responsibility to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resources use, accurate financial information, and adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements. 6. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Finance and two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proficiency with the Microsoft office suite.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Well-developed accounting and financial management skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent negotiating, organizational and analytical skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Attention to detail.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Demonstrated ability with the Yale Budget Tool (YBT) and Workday.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus