Mechanical Design Engineer - KTP Associate
School of Computing, Engineering and Physical Sciences in partnership with Consult Lift Services Ltd
Campus: Company Based
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer - KTP Associate
Req No: REQ000853
Salary Scale: £28,500 to £33,500 per annum plus £5,000 personal development budget
Full-time: Full-time, 38 hours per week
Fixed Term: 30 months
An exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Design Engineer has become available to work full time on a 30 month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Consult Lift Services Ltd (CLS). In this project, you will lead the full development of belt-driven vertical transport system.
This includes i) development of modular, PLM based design framework for configuring goods and platform lifts ii) concurrent analysis of the transport system to evaluate performance of the belt drive system iii) specification of smart drive and control system for modular lift platform iv) build and test demonstrator.
As a project lead, this is a unique opportunity to implement and develop modular design philosophy using state-of-the-art PLM solutions. An innovative design philosophy, to change business practice of producing bespoke products to developing standardised/ modular vertical transport components that can be reused in multiple products will be introduced as a part of this project. You will be fully supported by senior company management and by a team of academics at UWS.
Consult Lift Services Ltd are a leading supplier of Lift and Escalator solutions to businesses and institutions throughout Scotland. The company specialise in the supply and installation of all lift types, ranging from 50kg service lifts to 15,000kg goods lifts. CLS are looking to become the full service (design, manufacture, certification & service) modular lift system provider, spanning platform, goods and passenger lifts, utilising state-of-the-art drive technology.
The successful candidate may have the opportunity to register free of charge for a Higher Degree (e.g Masters or Ph.D.), receive training in Chartered Management Institute (level 5), work with senior company management to realise benefits to the business and apply their degree and lead their own project in a business environment.
Find out more by visiting:
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) funded by Innovate UK. It’s essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure a KTP Associate position. Please visit: www.ktpws.org.uk or contact Stuart McKay (email@example.com)
The successful candidate must possess:
We wish to recruit a graduate with minimum Bachelor’s level Engineering degree (2:1) or higher preferably from Mechanical Engineering / Lift Engineering / Computer-aided Engineering / Product Design and Development degree. The Associate should also possess excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, and be able to work independently and as part of a high-performance team. Academic or industrial experience of designing, developing and servicing vertical transport systems / heavy engineering systems will be highly advantageous.
Essential skills we require as a minimum:
- Knowledge of advanced 3D modelling with Computer-aided Design (CAD), Product data management (PDM) tools
- Solid knowledge in using Computer-aided Engineering (CAE) simulation and analysis of different mechanical drives
- Knowledge/experience of design engineering processes and their automation for efficient use within PDM systems
- Computer programming skills with experience in implementing IoT solutions
- Excellent technical writing, preparation, and reporting
- Strong experimental background
- Excellent time management skills
Desired skills which will be considered as advantageous:
- Knowledge of machine design and principles
- Knowledge and experience of PDM implementation and customisation;
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Expert/Associate
- Knowledge and experience in lift and elevator system engineering;
- Excellent data collection and analysis skills
- Understanding of business drivers and how to construct business cases for new technology/process adoption
- Experience of working with Vertical transport / lift and elevator / heavy equipment servicing industry.
If you have questions about this vacancy contact: Dr. Parag Vichare at Parag.Vichare@uws.ac.uk
Further information, including details of how to apply is available at http://www.uws.ac.uk/about-uws/jobs
Closing date: Sunday 11th November 2019
Interviews to be held: 28th and 29th November 2019 at Consult Lift Services.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520