Conference and Event Planner
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Event Operations team within the Facilities & Hospitality Department of Stanford GSB seeks an experienced and highly skilled Conference and Event Manager to work closely in partnership with Stanford GSB departments and event owners to plan and execute events, such as seminars, conferences, executive programs, reunions, and other university related events. This position serves as a project leader in managing a portfolio of events and programs working with a diverse constituency of staff, faculty and students to produce logistically precise events.
The GSB campus properties include the Knight Management Center and GSB Residences on 19.5 acres with nearly 700K sq.ft. of buildings that support academic and administrative functions, student and executive residential experiences and food service programs. The Schwab Residential Center is a 24-hour, 7-day/week residence, conference center.
If you are an experienced event manager with outstanding event planning expertise and exceptional customer service skills, ready to take-on new challenges in higher education, this is a position for you.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as project leader on specific events, coordinating teams that plan, implement, and manage all aspects of events such as: AV, vendors, catering, equipment/furnishings, guest experience, scheduling and logistics. Provide on-site event management.
- Initiate and lead meetings with stakeholders to plan scope and format of events, establish and monitor budgets, review administrative procedures and event progress, and provide guidance and policy interpretation.
- Responsible for budget planning and management, venue management, and equipment and facilities management for specific events.
- Inspect event facilities to ensure they conform to the event needs. Create specialized floor plans and coordinate event setup/take down.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external partners.
- Procure and coordinate vendor services. Negotiate vendor contracts to minimize liability and risks.
- Research and provide recommendations to optimize event locations and evaluate alternatives and availability.
- Investigate, document and report complaints regarding all aspects of events including customer service, crowd control and staff issues.
- Inspect event facilities for maintenance, janitorial and fire safety issues, ensuring enforcement of Environmental Health and Safety and other facility regulations. Arrange for correction if issues are found.
- Communicate with visiting entities such as vendors, alumni and program participants for assigned events.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated success managing event teams and planning, developing budgets, and meeting budget goals.
- Excellent project management skills, and the ability to manage complex timelines and multiple projects.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and time management skills. Must be well organized and detail oriented.
- Exceptional hospitality skills with the ability to cultivate partnerships.
- Demonstrated high level of confidence in making strategic decisions, using good judgment, and innovative and creative problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and knowledge of cloud applications such as Google Docs and Forms. Willingness to learn department reservation system and other applications.
- Ability to interact and successfully collaborate with a broad spectrum of contributing groups and customers.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Experience with venue management.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
- We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Schedule: Full-time on-site business hours, on-call periodically, occasional weekends
Professional business casual attire
Job Code: 4883
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84958