Research Fellow Holographic Metasurface for Imaging
Application closing date 29/10/2019
Salary £33,797 to £40,322 per annum
Job category/type Research
Queen's University Belfast is one of the prestigious Russell Group of UK research-intensive universities in the UK and Ireland, combining excellence in research and education with a student centred ethos, for our 24,000 students and 4,200 staff, funded through an annual turnover of some GBP 300m. As a driver of innovation and talent, based on excellence and global strategic partnerships, we offer generous employment terms and underpinned by excellent lifestyle benefits including opportunities for family friendly working and support for wellbeing.
The School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science perform world class research across within the Queen's Global Research Institute on Electronics, Communications and Information Technology (ECIT), the Pioneer Research Program on Intelligent Advanced Manufacturing Systems (iAMS), and a core disciplinary research Cluster in Electronics and Computer Engineering (ECE). Our Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) research was ranked 5th in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
The School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EEECS) is committed to the promotion of equality of opportunity and to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of its staff and student body. In particular, the School is committed to supporting the career progression of women in science, engineering and technology (SET) in line with the principles of the Athena SWAN Charter.
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position to develop antennas for millimetre-wave (mmW) computational imaging in order to develop novel imaging technologies. This project will investigate new antenna architectures for computational mmW imaging applications. This project will aim to invent novel compressive transducers and investigate methods to maximize their effectiveness. This research position is available for 24 months.
The successful candidate must have:
- Hold or be about to obtain (within three months) a PhD in microwave and mmW engineering focusing on antennas and/or electromagnetic imaging.
- At least a 2.1 undergraduate's degree in electrical/electronic engineering.
- At least 3 years of mmW antenna design experience. Experience in metasurface antennas is highly desirable.
- Experience in designing active/tunable RF components/antennas/arrays.
- Experience with using electromagnetic simulation software, such as CST Microwave Studio.
- Experience in programming with MATLAB.
- Experience in conducting measurements and characterisation of microwave and mmW devices and antennas using measurement equipment such as vector network analysers, RF anechoic chambers, near-field scanners, etc.
- Experience in PCB prototyping and/or fabrication.
- A publication record in line with stage of career in prestigious leading journals (e.g. IEEE TAP, IEEE TMTT) and presentations at major international conferences.