Implementation Lead Enterprise Resource Platform Project
Closing date 14 Oct 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary £41,526–£49,553 (Grade 8)
Department Heriot Watt University
Category Professional & Managerial
Status Full Time
Duration 18 months fixed-term
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Enterprise Resource Platform (ERP)
The ERP Programme is an institution-wide Programme to replace the existing HR / Payroll / Finance / Purchasing and Procurement / Planning systems and business processes with a single, integrated cloud service serving all campuses, underpinned by smooth and consistent processes.
The project will run for eighteen months to identify, procure and implement the new ERP and will then be mainstreamed into business as usual.
This is an excellent opportunity to join the ERP Programme and help Heriot-Watt University to transform its core people and money processes to ensure efficiency and effectiveness and to provide robust and accurate management information on which to base strategic and operational decisions. The successful candidate will work closely with the Programme Board; Programme Team; staff in HR, payroll, finance, procurement, planning and IS; the vendor; and all of the key stakeholders to specify, procure and implement a comprehensive ERP system based on re-designed and optimised business processes, alongside a series of integrations with other key systems.
The post involves contact with a diverse range of personnel at all levels both within and out with the University and therefore the successful applicant will require to possess excellent communication skills - written, verbal and through visual media.
This post requires travel with project deliverables executed both remotely and on-site at Edinburgh.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Expert knowledge of enterprise applications in one or more modules/systems.
- Understands and documents current state for customer application processes and configurations
- Documents desired state, identifies opportunities, assesses available technologies, and advises customer on system capabilities and options to reach desired state
- Advises customer on efficiencies and process improvements to consider based on application capabilities, best practices, and understanding of customer business objectives.
- Proactively identifies issues and roadblocks and addresses through customer consultation prior to solution implementation.
- Understand and where needed creates/amend detailed technical specifications and data models for customer solutions. Creates roadmaps for customer changes and implementations.
- Serves as a liaison between customer and technical team to implement solutions, resolve questions, and assist with training.
- Gathering, documenting and managing the functional requirements (business scope) for an implementation
- Working with the selected third party provider to perform project implementations including configurations, reports and gateways
- Monitor the implementations to ensure continued system integrity
- Providing user support (including ensuring effective communication with users is in place and provide energy to ensure effective usage)
- Assisting with stakeholder presentations and proposal development
- Managing local implementation’s scope, services, and work breakdown schedule
- Assisting in the optimisation of local work processes
- Contributing to improvements and standardisation of implementation techniques
- Manages the testing and application of systems configurations in line with project time frames.
- Analyses results of application testing to ensure solution matches the documented business need.
- Develops training outlines for end users.
- Works with solutions architects and technical SMEs to translate project requirements into solution designs, project estimates, and activity plans
- Creates project/customer engagement documentation.
- Works within team to identify and resolve common issues with internal processes.
- Drives and implements best practices within the team.
- Perform technical analysis for the requirements gathered and provide detailed technical documentation to support the desired system changes.
- Lead technical design, development, implementation, production support and enhancements made to the Oracle R12 environment.
- Review and consult on application customisations, extensions and modifications of existing systems to ensure inter-dependency of the functionality is not affected
- Prepares test data for unit, parallel and end to end testing.
- Interacts with business users and I/T to define current and future application requirements.
- Manages, resolves and documents issues and events related to system and environment availability.
- Communicates with all stakeholders (third parties, development teams, end users, etc.) to address system issues.
- Proposes and implements systems enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system.
- Enables strategic technical and architectural leadership to the programming function.
- Key interface between IT and key business users / senior leadership in defining IT solution based on business needs.
- Plans, conducts and manages assignments involving large, high budgets (cross- functional) projects that are often global in nature.
- Serves as technical expert to senior leadership in the IT organisation and functional user groups.
- Ensure appropriate security protocols are applied to all configuration and design in line with University Policy and relevant National and international legislation.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Significant demonstrable experience with Oracle EBS Finance version 12.X.X (Including 11.5.X)
- Significant demonstrable experience in creating requirement specifications based on Design and Detailing of Processes
- Significant demonstrable experience in Finance Modules - Accounts Payable, Oracle Payments, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, Fixed Assets, E-Business Tax, Cash Management, Advanced Global Intercompany System, Projects, Purchasing/iProcurement, iExpenses, Advanced Collections, and Planning & Budgeting
- Significant demonstrable experience in Development/ Configuration/solutions evaluation/ Validation and deployment
- Significant demonstrable experience in capturing requirements related to internal/external consulting, documenting, and mapping current business process
- Experience with Multi-National Organisation with Operating Units across Europe and Asia
- Significant demonstrable combined experience working in Information Technology and functional business application delivery
- A strong knowledge of ERP business processes required
- Understands the work-process and data integration/migration issues between project disciplines
- Ability to transition from conceptual to detail
- The ability to work within a team environment or autonomously as required
- Fluent with workshare environments
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent organisational and analytical skills combined with strong communication and customer focus skills
- Great communication skills in English to facilitate working with a team located all over the globe
- Bachelor Degree (Computer Science) or similar
- Understanding of Project Management lifecycle and experience of MS Project.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills (MS Visio, MS PowerPoint)
- Commitment to gaining exposure in multiple geographies and cultures.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgement.
- Ability to communicate technical info and ideas so others will understand.
- Ability to successfully work and promote inclusiveness in small groups.
- Able to work to a high standard under their own initiative.
- Attention to detail.
- Team player - contributing to and assisting in the work of a multi-disciplined team.
- Capable of playing a leadership role.
- Adept at problem solving.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 14 October 2019
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.