PhD Candidate within Renewable Energy
About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD-candidate at the Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering, related to this topic: Hybrid Energy Systems for Ocean Farming Value Chain Optimization
This open position is in association with Renewable Energy at NTNU Ålesund, with focus on the maritime environment and industry. The demand for more sustainable energy solutions is causing rapid changes in the maritime industry. Going from fossil fuel solutions to renewable energies such as solar, wind, waves and currents encompasses development of new technological solutions. Ocean farming and energy production are moving to more remote locations, where energy availability, storage and power transfer is challenging.
The PhD research will be carried out in an interdisciplinary environment. The institute currently have several ongoing PhD projects working on related aspect of changes facing the maritime industry, such as developments within, efficiency, safety, remote operations, autonomy and sustainability. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to interact with other PhD students as well as professionals at NTNU and industry to further develop his/her research skills and experience.
The position reports to Head of Department.
Main duties and responsibilities
- The hybrid power concept is to be used in a holistic approach to integrate power generation and storage into more self-contained and environmentally friendly ocean farming solutions.
- Power systems based on electricity from shore, energy harvesting from solar, wind and sea, battery solutions for storage, alternative fuels such as hydrogen, waste heat recovery and utilization are combined in new hybrid solutions.
- In the integration of various power generators with the ocean farm and the energy storage and export solutions, the environmental impact, safety and lifetime of the facility must be considered.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in mechanical-, marine-, electrical power- or renewable energy engineering or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- Good teamwork skills, inventiveness and a proactive approach will be emphasized in the evaluation as well as relevant practical experience.
- The PhD Research Fellow will be expected to contribute to an active research community that promotes the personal and professional growth of the doctoral candidate.
- Other necessary skills are ability to make research at an international level and to communicate it through publications and presentations internationally as well as internally.
- Good written and oral English language skills are required, and must be documented.
(Skriv inn 3-5 personlige egenskaper)
- Ability to work independently as well as in team.
- Enthusiastic, with a keen interest in the wider context of own research.
- Ability to take initiative and engage in cross-disciplinary teams.
- The position places great demands on the applicant’s capacity for independent goal-oriented work, ability to concentrate and attention to detail.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years including 25% required teaching duties or 3 years without required duties. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in engineering (https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/doctoral-programme).
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to associate professor Ann Rigmor Nerheim, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI): http://www.chsi.com.cn/en/).
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number SO IV-11/19 when applying.
Application deadline: 27.10.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
We aim to be a hub of international knowledge and innovation in maritime operations. This involves education and research on the design of ships and marine equipment as well as on the operation of vessels. Maritime operations integrate technology, human factors and business. The interfaces between these areas often spark inspiration for innovation and new solutions. The Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 27th October 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Ålesund