Lecturer, Medical English Language and Critical Thinking
Vacancy Available: One
School/Department: SoM - Pre Clinical Department
Job Family: Academic
Type of Contract: FTE 1.0
Hours of Work: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 04:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
Place of Work: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
Reporting To: Director
Appointment Duration: 3 Years (subject to renewal based on performance, need and mutual agreement)
Probation Period: 6 Months
Application Deadline: Application is open until the position is filled
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is a leading University in the Kurdistan Region – Iraq and we are at an exciting stage in our development. The School of Medical Sciences (SoM) is making a significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development over the next five years and to help further position the School locally, nationally and internationally.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Lecturer (Medical English Language & Critical Thinking) – SoM, will:
- Plan, design, develop and deliver modules in close coordination with senior faculty members in areas relating to teaching Medical English language and Critical Thinking to provide effective teaching strategies and meet the group and individual needs of students.
- Design programme and module assessments as required.
- Assess student performance in modules taught using both formative and summative assessments/evaluations.
- Provide oral and written timely feedback to students and other stakeholders.
- Provide support, counseling, and tutorials to students.
- Develop new and revise existing modules.
- Develop reasonable codes of classroom behaviour and ensure they are consistently applied.
- Participate in academic administration, including student recruitment, student support, student induction, marketing, admission, tutor induction and support, tutor observation and feedback, and attendance at the course and staff meetings.
- Engage in continuous professional development through participation in pedagogical seminars, workshops, and training as required.
- Carry out scholarly activities in the areas of specialization.
- Ensure research outcomes are relevant and applicable to key areas of teaching and benefit the students, University and the Kurdistan Region.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
- Participate in departmental meetings, activities, and boards.
- Supervise dissertations and/or projects relating to areas of specialization.
- Solve routine day-to-day problems as they arise.
- Teach outside of the core university hours (08:30 am to 4:30 pm) and in locations other than the main University Campus when required.
- Prepare, select and use appropriate teaching-learning materials; including the use of textbooks, in-house materials and self-created materials.
- Provide teaching cover in the absence of other colleagues.
- Build strong collaborative links with industries, academics, research centres, and/or government institutions.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager.
The Lecturer (Medical English Language & Critical Thinking) – SoM, should have:
- All candidates in teaching capacity who are fresh Ph.D. holders are appointed as Lecturers. Candidates from Kurdistan Region and Iraq with no teaching certificate will be offered a three-month training to obtain such a certificate while other candidates will be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fresh Ph.D. holders must have 2-3 publications in standard journals relating to their degrees.
- Medical doctor or pharmacist.
- Fluency in the English Language - Reading, Writing and Speaking (ability to teach Medical English language).
- A recognized Teaching Certificate at the university level.
- Strong knowledge of subject areas combined with a broad subject background and ability to contribute to teaching modules in areas of teaching Medical English language and Critical Thinking.
- The ability to teach across programs, curricula and to deliver specialist options and to supervise dissertations and project works.
- Interpersonal, planning and organisational skills.
- The ability to effect change in a positive way.
- A good team player with the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to high-quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students.
- Commitment to continuous professional development, academic research and income generation.
- A consistent record of teaching feedback in the relevant areas of specialization.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by indicating the Vacancy Title: Lecturer (Medical English Language & Critical Thinking) – SoM and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at Vacancies section on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.