General Assistant, Food and Beverage
1 day left
- Full Time
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name Hospitality Services
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
To provide the primary service contact and related activities for all food and beverage services to all customers
To provide and assist with the provision of professional, welcoming, high quality, flexible catering service to students, colleagues and visitors to the University across all areas where the service is provided or may be provided by the in house team. In addition to the service of meals snacks and refreshments to customers, Catering Assistants must operate a till where required and assist in the set-up, service and clearing of functions.
To maintain a consistency of standards by following our University and Departmental processes and policies To set-up, prepare, serve and deliver food and beverages in line with these departmental procedures etc. across the Heriot Watt University Campuses and Venues.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide and assist with the provision of professional, welcoming, high quality, flexible catering service to students, colleagues and visitors to the University across all areas.
- Preparation and pre service activities prior to the opening of an outlet or the start of an event.
- Operate the outlet tills – including include taking payments whether cash, credit, contactless or cashless.
- Fill clean and service vending machines as trained and per procedures.
- Assist with receiving and putting away food deliveries and stock counting.
- Assist as directed with basic food preparation readying outlets for service, producing prepare to order items – both hot and cold, creation and production of salads, sandwiches, coffees and other items as instructed.
- Preparation, safe operation and cleaning of small items of equipment – to include soup kettles, coffee machines, ice machines, blenders, dishwashers, counter top ovens, toasters etc used daily within the outlets.
- Function Waiting/ service to table, Bar Service, (with relevant training), and assistance with buffet service when required;
- Follow all laid down processes and procedures relating to food preparation, health, hygiene and welfare, temperature checking and waste management. To work within and to be aware of EH, COSHH and Health and Safety Guidelines.
- Maintain a high standard of personal hygiene, and work in a clean and tidy manner.
- Front and back of house cleaning activities as necessary.
- Any other relevant duties which may be required from time to time or as the service develops and adapts which may be reasonably expected of the post holder
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential Criteria includes:
- Demonstrable ability to speak and understand English in order to follow verbal and written instructions and deal with customer/student queries
- Effective literacy and numeracy skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Delivers excellent customer service, with a professional and courteous approach
- Ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately
- Good attention to detail
- Effective physical ability to carry out the post activities
Desirable Criteria includes:
- Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate
- Experience of working within a similar environment
- Experience of operating relevant catering and or cleaning equipment
Where the post holder is in possession of a valid UK Driving License they will be required to register it with the University Insurance services and drive University Vehicles when required to facilitate the provision of services
How To Apply
Heriot-Watt University is running a Recruitment Fair for a number of Cleaner and Food & Beverage Assistant roles on October 22nd, 23rd and 24th at the university. To arrange an interview on one of these days please call Nicole on 0131 451 8000. Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 21st October 2019.
These are Grade 3 posts with a salary from £17,682 to £19,133. There are 28 days annual leave and 9/10 Buildings Closed Days per year. These are full time posts, 35hrs per week, 5 days out of 7 work pattern, including weekends, and statutory days – monthly rosters subject to change
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Minimum Salary 17682
Maximum Salary 19133
Amount of Travel No Travel