Buildings Compliance, Operations Manager
2 days left
- Full Time
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name Estates and Facilities Service
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Estates and Facilities Directorate leads the global provision for Strategic Planning and Operational Management of Estates, Facilities and Hospitality Services. Additionally, in the Directorate is Oriam, Scotland’s National Sports Performance Centre and is a leading facility for performance sports which has been recognised for providing best in-class facilities for our students and the community. The remit is to ensure that the facilities and services within the directorate are capable of supporting the delivery of the University Strategic Plan and beyond.
The University is two years into a five year capital plan, which has been developed in close collaboration with colleagues to ensure all areas of the University have world-class facilities to allow them to deliver their part of the strategic plan. Over the last five years the University has invested in new facilities such as; the Lyell Centre, aco-location project with the British Geological Survey; Oriam, a leading facility for performance sports; new and improved student residences; major campus refurbishment; and a new hotel. Over the next five years,there are a number of future exciting projects including the National Centre for Robotics.
Estates and Facilities is a key professional service directorate within the University’s Professional Services’ operating structure. Property Managementis currently one of 4 divisions within the directorate. The directorate has around 300 staff.
In Edinburgh, the University estate principally comprises a campus site positioned within the green belt to the West of Edinburgh. It totals 154 hectares with some 100 buildings providing a developed floor space ofupwards of 160,000m², together with grounds, roads, car parks, HV Electricalnetwork, high pressure gas network, mains water distribution and pumping systemand drainage. There are also other Scottish Campuses based at Galashiels and in Orkney. The University also has other Campuses located in Dubai and Malaysia.
Reporting to the Head of Facilities Management (HoFM), the post holder will ensure that the University estate is maintained in line with the asset management plan and meets all statutory compliance requirements. Any compliance issues are communicated to those affected to ensure that sites across the University campus comply with various statutory and/or regulatory requirements. Create and keep appropriate records and policies up to date and be accountable for all standards and equipment on sites, create a schedule for statutory maintenance and ensure that all work meets key regulatory requirements.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Manage the Facilities Compliance team to deliver a programme of statutory compliance maintenance and minor works and capital projects as required.
- Ensure that the Facilities Compliance team operates effectively and efficiently to provide a value for money service which meets the expectation of stakeholders and enhances the student experience and within agreed constraints of time, quality and cost.
- Manage (and own) the Computer Aided Facilities Management (CAFM) system ensuring assets, documentation and work tasks are kept up to date and in line with changes in legislation and best practice.
- Effective line management of the Facilities Compliance team and nominated external contractors, ensuring that high standards are achieved, in accordance with University regulations and procedures. This includes managing workloads, performance, attendance, capability and development.
- Provide advice on relevant statutory maintenance and compliance matters to the wider FM and User Services team and to other University stakeholders including providing support for the delivery of the UK University Estates Strategy and related University business objectives.
- Effective financial management, including coordination of financial analysis and reporting in partnership with University Finance services all in accordance with University procedures.
- Contribute to governance and risk management process & procedures within the Directorate.
- Develop and manage the University Risk Registers and risk mitigation strategies for maintenance operations and assets and coordinate with University Governance campuses wide risk strategy.
- Liaise with Assurance Services (GALS) to manage the insurance inspections across the estate.
- Support the procurement of external consultants and main contractors within the boundaries set by European procurement legislation in conjunction with the University's Procurement section.
- Produce relevant management information and KPI’s to demonstrate staff efficiency, compliance and budget control within the team. Prepare reports and papers for committees or funding bids as required. Prepare agendas, take minutes of relevant meetings and prepare recommendation report on the back of asset failures.
- Provide high quality, value-added analysis and commentary on reports and metrics.
- Issue various statutory permits
Education, qualifications and experience
- Degree calibre or equivalent relevant experience, including knowledge of Electrical, Mechanical, Water, HVAC, Fire, Loler, Pressure systems, Fall arrest systems and Asbestos management in regards to commercial buildings and associated ACOPS.
- Health and Safety qualification e.g. IOSH/SMSTS/NEBOSH
- In depth knowledge of statutory, mandatory and best practice working processes in relation to building and structure maintenance and repair.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and presentation skills, able to understand and communicate complex issues effectively.
- Understands and demonstrates customer service excellence.
- High attention to detail.
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment.
- Effective IT skills in a business environment (specifically MS Office)
- Experience of working closely with stakeholders across all levels of the organisation.
- High level organisational skills with the ability to prioritise major developments.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Friday 25th October 2019
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Minimum Salary 41526
Maximum Salary 49553