1 day left
- Part Time
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name Estates Services Division
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Campus Services Directorate encompasses the Estates team, Oriam and Hospitality Services.
Hospitality Services consists of Residential and Cleaning Services, the in house retail Catering operations, Events and Conferences and the Accommodation and Front Desk teams.
Hospitality Services and all its teams have a dual focus of supporting the Students and Academic Schools whilst generating income from the use of facilities and its activities.
All the teams are very customer focused and the collective objective is:
- To Deliver high Quality Consistent Services at all times in a Sustainable, Viable and Professional manner to all customers.
- Residential and Cleaning Services is the largest of the teams that make up Hospitality Services and is responsible for cleaning all accommodation whether residential, academic or third party on the Edinburgh Campus.
- Enhancing the Reputation of the University
- Supporting the Experiences of our Students
- Helping to Deliver the University’s Objectives.
To ensure an effective and efficient operation of cleaning services within the Heriot Watt University Riccarton campus. To participate in the day to day programmes of cleaning work within the allocated cleaning zones of the University to ensure that the facilities are maintained in a clean and hygienic condition.
To actively contribute to the successful delivery of excellent service to all students, staff and visitors across the university by keeping student accommodation and University offices, meeting rooms and lecture theatres clean and tidy and fit for use.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To ensure all University buildings and accommodation are cleaned to a high standard following the standard operating procedures
- Use appropriate equipment and machinery, reporting any faults to Cleaning Supervisor
- Support line management to deliver a flexible, efficient and professional service to all our customers
- Report repairs, faults and maintenance to Cleaning Supervisor
- Collect and sign for key, list of duties and any special duties.
- Be responsible for keys issued and the unlocking and securing of all designated areas before and after cleaning; ensuring the security and integrity of the areas of cleaning
- Cleaning, washing, sweeping, mopping, dusting, power washing, scrubbing and vacuuming designated areas to the required standard and as per standard operating procedures. Replenishing consumables where necessary and disposal of refuse. Removal of graffiti.
- Carry out deep cleaning tasks to bedrooms, kitchens, public areas and university buildings including teaching and office space as directed.
- When required to use and operate powered equipment – scrubbing machines, wet pick up machines, carpet cleaning machines ensure all processes and procedures are followed as per training. All cleaning equipment to be cleaned after use and kept in good working condition. Powered equipment only to be used by trained operatives.
- Assist with the distribution and collection of linen including counting and storing outgoing soiled linen and incoming clean linen.
- Set up and turnaround of accommodation and academic spaces for student and non-student business throughout the year – to include paperwork distribution, changing and provision of mattress protectors and shower curtains, bed linen, complimentary items, Freshers’ Welcome materials.
- Servicing residential accommodation including making beds and changing linen as required by business streams and SLA’s.
- To maintain environment: deep clean carpeted and non-carpeted areas, soft furnishings; fixtures and fittings; walls; storage areas; domestic kitchens and pantries in the Halls of Residence
- Collect rubbish and dispose of correctly using appropriate bins, including kitchen refuse and recycling.
Education, qualifications and experience
Domestic/hotel cleaning experience desirable although full training will be given.
These are the criteria on which the short-listing and recruitment selection will be made
Essential Criteria includes:
- Demonstrable ability to speak and understand English in order to follow verbal and written instructions and deal with customer/student queries
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Delivers excellent customer service, with a professional and courteous approach
- Ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately
- Good attention to detail
- Effective physical ability to carry out the post activities
Desirable Criteria includes:
- Experience of working within a similar cleaning environment
- Experience of operating relevant cleaning equipment
This job description is intended as a flexible framework which outlines the key general areas of activity in your position. Other activities may be required which are not outlined above but which are appropriate to the position and grade. Your personal objectives (Forward Job Plan) will also set out specific tasks and objectives for you to achieve, including objectives to help your career development.
FTE and working pattern: per contract, 5 days working out of 7, including weekends and statutory days, monthly rosters subject to change. Additional hours required at peak times
How To Apply
Heriot-Watt University is running a Recruitment Fair for a number of Cleaner and Food & Beverage positions on October 22nd, 23rd and 24th at the university. To arrange an interview on one of these days please call Nicole on 0131 451 8000. Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 21st October 2019.
These are Grade 3 posts with a salary from £17,682 to £19,133 (pro rata). There are 28 days annual leave and 9/10 doors closed days per year, pro rata for part-time posts.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Minimum Salary 17682
Maximum Salary 19133
Amount of Travel No Travel