Research Associate in Global Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
The HaSET (“happiness” in Amharic”) Global Maternal and Child Health Research Program at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health and Boston Children’s Hospital invites applications for a Research Associate. Our program works closely with partners in Ethiopia and Ethiopia’s Federal Ministry of Health to generate evidence to improve maternal and child health programs and policies. In addition, we provide technical capacity building in program implementation, data analysis, and use of evidence through direct collaborative work and workshops.
Research will be conducted jointly by the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston Children’s Hospital, and several Ethiopian institutions. The Research Associate will provide research and implementation leadership for projects led by Professor Grace Chan, and will work closely with the Boston and Ethiopia teams to oversee study activities. The successful candidate will lead day-to-day scientific activities, including developing analytical plans and conducting statistical analysis; publishing manuscripts; contributing to grants; and collaborating with program managers, data analysts, field implementers, data system developers, students, post-docs and faculty on the HaSET team.
Doctoral qualification in epidemiology, statistics, public health, or a related field with 2+ years postgraduate research experience. The ideal candidate will have experience conducting research in global health, particularly in low-and-middle income countries. Desired skills include:
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Expertise leading applied research including the ability to generate research questions, conduct data analysis, and write up results.
- Expert knowledge and practical experience in study design, sampling approaches and sample size estimation, descriptive and advanced statistical methods such as longitudinal data analysis, multilevel modeling, causal inference methods, complex survey analysis etc.
- Experience leading prospective cohort studies and health surveillance systems.
- Experience conducting mixed methods studies and qualitative data collection (e.g. in-depth interviews, focus groups, Delphi methods).
- Experience with scoping and systematic literature reviews (and meta-analysis).
- Expert knowledge of STATA and data management (e.g., web-based electronic data capture system such as REDCAP or ODK).
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Experience leading research in global maternal and child health, particularly in East Africa.
The position is based in Boston with frequent travel to Ethiopia. Commitment is for two years with the potential for renewal.
PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- CV/ Resume
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research
- Two writing samples
- Three references
Dr. Grace Chan
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
Minimum Number of References Required
Maximum Number of References Allowed