Scientific Software Engineer
The Caltech Seismo Lab seeks a Scientific Software Engineer to work with modernizing an entire framework of tools designed to use satellite remote sensing data, particularly radar data, to monitor movement of the Earth’s surface associated with earthquakes, volcanoes, glaciers, aquifers, and the slow movement of the tectonic plates. The successful candidate will implement tools focused on time-series approaches applied to large stacks of repeat interferometric SAR (InSAR) data.
- Learn fundementals behind existing in-house image analysis tools.
- Develop a software specification document.
- Implement software in collaboration with students and postdocs.
- Interface with colleagues at NASA/JPL on algorithmic and implementation issues.
- Develop user documentation and associated pedagogic tools.
- Explore different approaches to user interfaces and visualization.
- Maintain tools and documentation as needed.
- Deploy tools on different platforms including laptops, local HPC resources, and cloud resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's in a STEM field with significant computation experience.
- Coursework or equivalent experience with linear algebra and time series analysis.
- Statistics and model estimation experience.
- Experience with Python, Jupyter notebooks, Linux, OS-X, github.
- Masters or higher degree in a STEM field.
- Experience with C++.
- Experience with GDAL.
- Experience with QGIS.
- Experience with various databases.
- Experience with GPUs, particularly with CUDA.
- Experience with Jupyter-hub and its deployment.