Senior Network Engineer
University Job Title
Senior Network Engineer
None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile
Manager; Program Leader (P6)
150 Munson Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family
Computing and Information Systems
Total # of hours to be worked:
The Wireless Network Engineer will be responsible for designing, installing, maintaining, and supporting WLAN, LAN, WAN and VoIP infrastructures.
The successful candidate will work to:
- Provide high-level technical support for WLAN and data network systems.
- Lead projects used to maintain current operating levels for infrastructure systems. Research emerging technologies to enhance WLAN network performance and provide operating efficiencies.
- Remediate vulnerabilities detected in the networking infrastructures and related systems.
- Ensure customer focus and communication through all aspects of the assigned responsibilities.
- Install, configure, troubleshoot and manage network hardware, software, systems, services, equipment and devices. Act as technical lead for all network related projects.
- Works with internal and external resources in support of those projects.
- Provide regular updates to management on the status of such projects.
- Work with outside agencies or organizations for network, security and voice services.
- Provide input on budgets for all infrastructure related projects in support of the IT Capital Budget process.
- Participate in an on-call rotation and respond to emergency calls on a 24X7 basis and must be able to work off shift hours and weekends to maintain system functionality when necessary.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
- Recognize the following core values in fulfilling their job responsibilities: honesty, trust, respect, communication, teamwork, personal accountability and a positive attitude.
- Designs, implements, and operates secure and manageable switched and routed networks. This includes all network infrastructure and monitoring of the same within the university system.
- Implements according to defined schedules, in a timely fashion and operates/monitors systems and processes on a daily basis. This is accomplished according to industry-standard best practices
- Performs advanced needs analysis, configuration and problem diagnosis for network devices including routers, switches, VPN servers, and firewalls.
- Plans and implements of the network topology as required supporting expansion and/or new services. Maintains current knowledge of new and emerging network technology. Performs evaluations of hardware/systems for potential Yale use.
- Establishes operating, diagnostic, tests and repair procedures. Manages network fault diagnosis as required. Participates in 24x7 on-call rotation. Follow University ITIL compliant processes during the execution of these duties
- Plans, implements, and performs analysis of instrumentation to provide network usage and performance statistics. Identifies potential performance problems, plans and implements appropriate redesigns in topology and electronics to prevent or resolve performance problems.
- Consults and participates in special projects with other ITS units that impact or depend on the network. Evaluates impact of these services on network operation and architecture to determine whether current network requires upgrade. Provides 2nd level support for trouble tickets/issues from users and/or other Engineers
- Documents procedures and updates all network infrastructure and supported business processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of six years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong knowledge and expertise of Cisco WI-FI portfolio, Wireless Controllers, APs, CMX and Prime Infrastructure.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven hands-on experience in installation, configuration, testing and troubleshooting and/or Network solution designing of Cisco WI-FI solutions.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
10+ years of progressive experience. Practical level of experience implementing and administering common TCP/IP-based services, including DNS, DHCP, HTTP, FTP, SSH, SMTP, etc. Scripting knowledge on Python, Perl; Understanding of the ISE product line as it pertains to WI-FI deployments; experience with Aruba, Cisco, HP, and Juniper.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus