Associate Lecturer/Lecturer, Education-focused in Business Analytics
- Full Time
- Opportunity to join an internationally accredited and respected business school
- Located at our Camperdown / Darlington campus
- 3 x full-time continuing Level A/B academic positions. Remuneration package between $88,711-$149,441 p.a which includes leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Discipline of Business Analytics is a group that combines academics from statistics/econometrics, management science and computer science. We are engaged in all aspects of analysing data, making forecasts and building models to assist in management decisions. The Discipline has research and teaching strengths in the areas of financial time series and quantitative risk management; business and economic forecasting; econometrics and Bayesian statistics; computationally intensive estimation; supply chain management and scheduling theory. The group is building up expertise in machine learning and is open to appointing teachers and researchers in other emerging fields in business analytics such as text analytics.
We are currently seeking to appoint new teaching colleagues with expertise in one or more of the major areas of business analytics, including statistics and data analysis, statistical learning, risk analytics, time series analysis, machine learning and operations management, operations research and management science. We are especially interested in recruiting teaching academics with expertise in management science and machine learning and/or statistics and machine learning.
In this position you will:
- teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level to culturally-diverse student cohorts
- assist with curriculum development and preparing course materials and all matters associated with assessing students
- recruit and manage tutors, including developing their skills
- conduct tutorials
- contribute to the development of knowledge either through discipline-related research or engagement in pedagogic scholarship
- contribute to academic administration
The Discipline of Business Analytics is seeking new, energetic and creative colleagues interested in, and committed to, all aspects of learning and teaching at university level. The precise nature of the work you will undertake will vary depending on the requirements of the Discipline. You may be responsible for around 6 deliveries/units over a year although this may vary in relation to other responsibilities undertaken. For example, detailed involvement in course development, or responsibility for the management and development of a large cohort of tutors, may result in a reduction in the number of deliveries expected, while repeated deliveries of the same unit may increase the class contact expectation.
Education-focused is a specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. A Lecturer (Education-focused) is expected to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning practice, design and evaluation within the School/ Faculty and will be on a trajectory towards leadership in educational design and delivery. A Lecturer (Education-focused) is expected to dedicate the majority of their contribution to education (up to 70% - or 80% by mutual agreement - of their academic workload allocation).
We are looking for colleagues with:
- significant progress towards, or the completion of, a PhD in a relevant discipline
- evidence of high quality teaching in Statistics/Machine Learning and/or Business Analytics units, at undergraduate or postgraduate level. We are especially interested in academics who have expertise in management science and machine learning or statistics and machine learning
- capacity to contribute to course and program development
- ability to supervise and mentor others in relation to educational development.
- engagement with tertiary level learning and teaching development, including a commitment to engaging in scholarly activities to inform innovative pedagogical practice
- evidence of successful teamwork and a collegial approach
- demonstrated track record or capacity to undertake research in education/pedagogy or Business Analytics that leads to high quality outcomes
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1986/0919C to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Monday 21 October 2019
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.