Systems Operations Engineer
5 days left
- Full Time
Job Family: Information Technology Services
Job Series: System Administrator 3
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
R&DE Information Technology consists of 26 full and part-time staff. The department is organized into six teams: CIO office, Portfolio and Project Management Office, Applications Development, Support Services, Security, and Systems & Infrastructure Operations. R&DE IT supports over 65 applications and integrations, 2,200 technology assets, and 900+ users. In addition to providing excellence in everything they do, R&DE IT is dedicated to the mission and core values of Residential & Dining Enterprises.
The R&DE IT System Operations Engineer is a member of the R&DE IT Systems & Infrastructure Operations Team, reporting to the Manager of Systems & Infrastructure Operations, and uses technical knowledge to develop, install, configure, optimize, and maintain integrity of the servers and infrastructure environment. The Team interfaces with R&DE teams, campus partners and vendors to ensure high performance and availability of existing systems, to launch new systems, and to explore emerging technologies. We align workflows and priorities with the overall goals of R&DE and we are accountable to those we serve, to our teammates and to ourselves for the quality of our work. We are results oriented, and we embrace organizational and technology change in making our contribution to the R&DE vision of excellence.
The R&DE IT System Operations Engineer will have a significant role in service delivery, and must consider the reliability and security of the computing environment and the needs of the R&DE community to be among their highest priorities. They will demonstrate experience in managing performance and storage in a VMware environment; they will apply their expertise in Windows and Mac operating systems, Linux distributions, physical and logical networks, Active Directory, enterprise database management, information security, and desktop and endpoint management. They are committed to deepening their knowledge and skillset through professional development activities, they display careful attention to detail and they are equally comfortable working as a member of a team or individually.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
With minimal guidance, design, install, configure, optimize, and maintain integrity of highly complex operating system platforms.
- Manage 90+ VMs in production, test and development environments for 60+ applications, including the development and use of automated recurring tasks for server patching and vulnerability remediation.
- Optimize use of CarbonBlack, Qualys, BigFix and other standard tools specified by the Stanford University Information Security Office to improve security, reliability and performance of R&DE systems.
- Manage performance reliability, business continuity and disaster recovery through a hybrid of on-premises, campus and cloud resources.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of R&DE IT through application of ITIL Service Delivery practices.
- Design, develop, install, and maintain operating systems, utilities, and applications software on computing systems.
- Resolve system emergencies with significant impact on the integrity of user data and systems.
- Design, configure, implement, and maintain system security strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Establish software/hardware standards and systems policies and procedures.
- Engage in long-term strategic planning with regard to systems development and integration.
- Conceptualize and implement systems within broad technical or structural frameworks.
- Perform capacity planning for system configuration, software services, network services, load distribution, and service interrelationships among computer systems.
- Act as a technical expert or lead for local computer system administration.
- Act as project leader on large-scale computing projects in which strong technical, directional, and personal leadership is necessary; assign and oversee the work of other system administrators as needed.
- Manage vendor relationships and cost effective hardware and software maintenance agreements with vendors.
- * - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience or
- Combination of education and relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience managing and implementing complex multi-system platforms and vendors.
- Experience coordinating multi-system and computing environments in independent computing facilities.
- Experience developing/implementing a business continuation and disaster recovery plan.
- Proven ability to develop appropriate plans to meet computing needs.
- Expert ability to program in multiple programming languages in multiple operating systems.
- Proven ability to lead and work on large/complex system deployment projects in a team environment.
- Advanced knowledge of security trends and best practices.
Certifications and Licenses:
- ITIL v3 Foundations
- MS Windows Server training and/or certification
- VMWare training and/or certification
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21>40 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Exposed to high voltage electricity, noise >80dB TWA, confined spaces, hot temperatures, heavy metals.
- Extended hours and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K