Information Services Operator
University Job Title: Clinical Receptionist
Bargaining Unit: L34 - Local 34 (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Labor Grade B
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 150 Munson Street New Haven, CT 06511
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day):
Searchable Job Family: Administration, Clinical
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Work Days/Hours (Other than Standard): Shift for this position is: 8AM-4:30PM.
Within a team based organizational structure, the operator uses general medical practice knowledge to perform tasks involving telephone and information systems by efficiently and courteously assisting in-coming telephone calls in a multi-care specialty scheduling and ambulatory referral center.
Shift for this position is: 8AM-4:30PM.
- Answers telephone calls and assess urgency of call. Directs caller to appropriate person or contacts physician directly.
- Schedules meetings and patient appointments. Notifies patient of changes/cancellations as necessary. Creates patient bump lists as a result of last minute provider call outs.
- Receives patients and visitors. Secures names and needs and directs accordingly.
- Updates patient information. Provides information related to section and procedures. Assists patients with the completion of forms. Obtains patient charts, medical records and lab reports and verifies for completeness. Copies and distributes medical records and reports as necessary.
- Compiles and posts information on standard forms. Maintains logs and records of activities and prepares routine summaries as necessary.
- Utilizes computer to input and retrieve appointment data and patient information and produce standard reports. Performs keyboarding duties
- Sorts, screens and distributes incoming mail. Processes outgoing mail following postal and University regulations.
- May book diagnostic tests and appointments for patients at hospitals and other medical facilities. May accept and process fee for service payments. May initiate billing process by completing patient encounter forms.
- Performs clerical functions incidental to clinical reception activities.
Required Education and Experience
Two years of related work experience and a high school level education, or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Outstanding interpersonal skills. Warm and compassionate communication style. Extraordinary customer service skills with ability to professionally and effectively interact with all members of the patient’s care team (including but not limited to the patient, parent, primary care provider, etc.). Demonstrated actions as a caring and motivated team player.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Astute active listening skills to accurately assess nature of call and address or route as appropriate. Ability to pay attention to detail.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to perform a variety of routine job tasks to meet occasional conflicting demands, time pressures, deadlines or emergencies.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive patient information in a professional manner while complying with all general policies including HIPAA regulations.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven record of exemplary attendance, punctuality and reliability.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience answering calls in a high-volume healthcare call center/practice. General knowledge of medical practices & terminology. Experience using electronic medical record system & multi-line telephone, ACD lines & tracking boards. Possess a clinical & business vocabulary to allow agent to cross-reference issues with appropriate parties. Experience using EPIC. Spanish speaking.
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus