Associate Professor in Environmental Management and Strategic Enviromental Assessment
About the position
The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) invites applications for a permanent position as Associate Professor in Environmental Management and Strategic Environmental Assessment.
The department is organized in six sections:
- Managerial Economics, Finance and Operations Research
- Health, Safety and Environment (HSE)
- Strategy and Business Development
- Operations Management
- Experts in Teamwork
- Economics and management (NTNU Gjøvik campus)
The position is part of the Health, Safety and Environment section.
The Section is responsible for two master programs in Health, Safety and Environment and also contributes in other study programs with several topics within the area as well as master student supervision.
The Section collaborates closely with industry and the public sector and participates in a number of research projects and programs (with funding from e.g. Prosjekt Norge, The Research Council of Norway and EU H2020.
The department (IØT) has as its mission to carry out educational and research activities at a high international level. IØTs core activity is in the intersection between technology/natural sciences, business economics, management and HSE, aiming to promote sustainable value creation in technology-based areas in industry, business and the public sector in Norway.
We recruit new employees in line with our mission, and we search for enthusiasts who are passionate about contributing to the department’s vision of “More research, interaction and team work which increases our value creation at the interface between technology/natural sciences and business economics, management and HSE”. We are looking for those who have experience with and potential for continuous innovation within this interface.
The position reports to the Head of Department of IØT.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Research in the scientific area of Environmental Management and Strategic Environmental Assessment resulting in journal publications
- Teaching within the areas of environmental management, sustainable development (the UN sustainable development goals), environmental / ecologic sustainable value creation and circular economy
- Teaching according to the existing study plan
- Contributing to development of the research area and teaching programs including post-qualifying education and continuing education
- Supervision of master and doctoral students
- Initiate and coordinate development of research applications
- Participate, manage and administer externally funded research projects
- Scientific area responsibility together within the other academic staff
- Exam preparation and evaluation without additional remuneration
- Administrative tasks
To qualify for this position as Associate Professor, we require:
- A Norwegian PhD or equivalent foreign PhD in Environmental Management
- Documented scientific qualifications in at least two of the following areas:
- ) environmental management, 2) environmental system assessment 3) environmental strategy and 4) environmental sustainability. The scientific qualifications must primarily have a business perspective. The applicant is asked to describe his/her scientific qualifications relevant for the areas 1-4 mentioned above.
- Publication and evident potential of publication of research in recognized and relevant international scientific journals. Strongest emphasis will be put on scientific articles published in the last five years (excluding statutory leave) with relevance for the announcement. We are looking for an active researcher to fill this position, and we consider the scientific publication record in light of the length of the application’s academic career.
- Documented teaching and supervision experience within the field. The candidate must be able to teach and supervise master and PhD students, including quantitative methods in environmental management.
For this position we welcome applications both from candidates who have recently defended their thesis as well as candidates who on application deadline has submitted their thesis but not yet have defended their thesis.
The following qualifications will count positively in the evaluation and ranking of the candidate:
I. Documentation of ability to initiate and manage development and research projects
II. Documented experience with development of courses in environmental assessment, environmental management and sustainable value creation
III. Document experience with practical HSE- and/or environmental management work in industry and commerce
IV. Document collaboration experience with other researchers, industry and/or public sector
V. Document ability and interest in collaboration with other disciplines at NTNU such as Management, Strategy, Innovation,Purchasing, Logistics and Engineering
VI. Document international collaboration and an international mindset
Basic qualifications in the discipline of education are required. Anyone who is appointed without having formal basic qualifications in the discipline of education (formerly referred to as practical qualifications in teaching at university level) and who is unable to document equivalent qualifications is required to complete an approved course within two years of appointment. Until such qualifications are documented one will be temporarily employed. Uniped at NTNU offers qualifying courses. For further information: https://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualification
Pedagogical qualifications will be evaluated. The evaluation will be based on documented pedagogical material, pedagogical education, presentational skills in your scientific work and experience from Ph.D. - or master level supervision, and other kinds of teaching and pedagogical experience. The overall quality of the qualifications will be evaluated.
The person appointed must comply with the decisions about changes due to developments in the subject area, and the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the university's activities.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position. NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Personal skills such as flexibility, collaboration ability and motivation to contribute to a good work environment will count strongly in the evaluation and ranking.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, education, research, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
- A vibrant scientific community with possibilities for competence development
- An open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- Attractive Norwegian social welfare scheme including family benefits, home loans, Insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Employee benefits
- Every 5th year the possibility to apply for a one year sabbatical leave
- Vibrant research environment with intensive industry collaboration
- Possibility to apply for gender equality funds for female employees
Information about Working and living in Norway can be found at the following link New in Norway.
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Associate Professor (code 1011) is normally from NOK 555 100,- to NOK 731 400,- per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
Primary residency in Trondheim is a prerequisite.
The total obligation to work will be divided into research, teaching and administration. The division between these fields of work obligation may vary, but approximately equal time should be devoted to research and teaching.
Employees in academic positions who are not already fluent in a Scandinavian language must within three years obtain knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language at an equivalent standard to level three in the Norwegian for Foreigners courses, provided by the Department of Language and Communication Studies at NTNU. Following this, the candidate should be able and willing to teach and do research in Norwegian.
About the application
The application and description of the academic works to be used as the basis for the assessment must be written in English. Within the application deadline, applicants must submit the following documents through the application website www.jobbnorge.no:
- Application/motivation letter
- CV and authorized documentation of certificates and study records
- Documentation of the qualifications 1-4 and I-VI. The application will not be considered if the documentation is not attached
- Academic work (normally 5-10 such submissions)
- A description of all the academic work that the applicant considers most significant and that he/she wants the evaluation committee to pay particular attention to
- A list of all publications with bibliographical references
- Name and address of three potential references
- Description of teaching qualifications based on a list of factors ("Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU")
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
After the application deadline an internal committee will do a shortlisting of the applicants. This evaluation will be sent to an external expert committee, and only the best-qualified applicants will be assessed.
The best qualified candidates will be invited to give a trial lecture and have an interview at the Department.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, disabilities or cultural background. NTNU is an inclusive workplace. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Further information about the position is available by contacting Associate Professor Ottar Michelsen, phone +47 91 55 59 83 and email firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Rikke Bramming Jørgensen, email email@example.com , phone +47 98 02 27 61.
Application including attachments must be sent electronically through www.jobbnorge.no
Deadline for application: 30.11.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
We conduct research and teaching at an international level in the interface between technology/natural sciences and economics, management, and HSE (health, safety and the environment). Our goal is sustainable creation of value within technology-based areas in industry, business and the public sector in Norway. We have academic groups in Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management is one of four departments in the Faculty of Economics and Management.