Assistant Professor in Corporate Communication
Closing date: 27 October 2019
Level of education: PhD
Hours: 38 hours per week
Salary indication: €3,637 to €5,656 gross per month
Are you driven when it comes to conducting research and practicing teaching? Do you specialise in the field of Corporate Communication? We are seeking an assistant professor for this specialisation, starting in January 2020.
Within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Communication Science offers a Bachelor's and several Master’s degree programmes, while its research is carried out at the Amsterdam School of Communication Research. Teaching in our Communication Science programmes is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. As an assistant professor, you will be part of the program group of Corporate Communication.
What will you be doing?
The new assistant professor will participate in the program group of Corporate Communication. Teaching and research in the program group focus on the development, execution and especially the effects of communication strategies towards internal and external stakeholders of organizations. In this context, we focus on mediatization processes, artificial intelligence & technology use, legitimacy & visibility, and sustainability & diversity.
Our new colleague will:
- teach courses in the bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, particularly in the field of corporate communication. Important themes are mediatized employee communication, corporate media, and the impact of social issues on employees and the organization;
- supervise internships, bachelor theses, and master theses;
- conduct research in Corporate Communication, specifically on mediatized corporate employee communication about social issues and its influence on employees and organisations and on the production, content and effects of corporate media;
- be active in grant acquisition and collaborate with stakeholders;
- participate in committees, groups and projects in the program group.
What do we require of you?
- a PhD in one of the social sciences, preferably communication science;
- broad knowledge of communication science in general;
- in-depth knowledge of mediated corporate communication as proven by previous academic activities and publications in international journals;
- expertise and interest in mediated corporate employee communication and/or the influence of social issues on internal and external stakeholders of the organisation;
- a strong empirical-analytical research profile that fits the Corporate Communication research program;
- relevant teaching experience;
- the qualities to apply for competitive grants and to collaborate with stakeholders;
- excellent command of spoken and written English;
- a relevant network in Communication Science.
- capable of providing a stimulating teaching and research environment;
- a team player and have ‘academic citizenship’ qualities;
- involved in research-impact activities, also outside the university, and have ideas about (and preferably track record in) creating societal impact of science;
- an active member of the Communication Science community.
What can we offer you?
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organisation. The social and behavioural sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information?
- dr Piet Verhoeven
Would you like to learn more about working at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)? Visit our website.
The position is a temporary appointment for a term of two years. If a candidate proves suitable, barring unforeseen organisational developments and assuming sufficient FTE availability, we intend to offer the candidate a permanent employment contract.
Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3637 and a maximum salary of €5656 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week (in keeping with scale 11 or 12, as per the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities). We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme and year-end bonus.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Does this profile sound like you? If so, we are eager to receive your CV and covering letter.
You may apply online by clicking on the link below.
The deadline for applications is 27 October 2019.
No agencies please