Development and Operations Engineer
6 days left
- Full Time
Stanford’s central IT organization has a full-time opening for a DevOps Cloud Engineer on the Infrastructure Engineering/DevOps team in the Enterprise Technology division. The candidate will work with our team of technologists in building and supporting modern systems in the cloud, on-prem or hybrid. The team spearheads modern approaches in architecturing central services and might hand them off to Operations teams once the solutions are mature enough. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to frequently contribute to and impact a variety of projects impacting the Stanford community, comprised of faculty, students and staff.
We have systems on AWS, GCP, VMware, and physical hardware. Strong focus has been on GKE and soon on-prem Kubernetes. In this role, you will be architecting cloud-native solutions, helping to migrate on-premise loads there as needed, while re-assessing applications and services whenever possible and appropriate. With the option to work remotely up to two days a week, maintaining your presence and connection to the team through Slack, Hangouts, and Zoom is a must.
If you’re interested in a high-energy environment and meaningful work, this job is for you! Our group is a fun, hardworking, result-driven, and encouraging team. You won’t be bored, you will find your work valued and the work you do, makes a difference.
- Act as the conceptual source for assignments involving more than one area of specialization and/or innovative system design.
- Plan and coordinate IT efforts with a high degree of dependence upon their individual unique technical contributions.
- Conceive, design, develop, optimize, integrate, and maintain information technology at a complex level.
- Troubleshoot highly complex problems for which the analysis and resolution require extensive knowledge of many diverse system components.
- Develop long-range technology plans.
- Provide leadership and IT solutions for complex problems.
- Identify applicable new technologies through research, collaboration with peers, and participation in standards organizations, industry groups, panels, etc.
- May work on University-wide task forces and committees related to strategic planning efforts for information technologies.
- Maintain excellent working knowledge on AWS, GCP, VMware and its main services.
- Deliver solutions based on container technology and orchestration tools where appropriate, we use Docker and Kubernetes.
- Rely on Infrastructure and Configuration as Code frameworks (we use Terraform and Puppet mostly, but we keep looking for what’s most appropriate according to needs)
- Deploying appropriate tests to guarantee proper monitoring and all the needed steps for support purposes such as paging integration.
- Set up and maintain Continuous Integration, Delivery or Deployment pipelines.
- Develop scripts in Bash and at least another common scripting language (Python, Ruby, Go..) a must, especially when it comes to API interactions with 3rd party services.
- Proven record towards automating all the things.
- Log management and analysis. We use Splunk and ELK stacks, mainly.
- Engineer solutions to harden pre-existing systems or architect from scratch for heightened security conditions.
- Configure and assist in the design of system and network security.
- Monitor and analyze resource usage to recommend/develop enhancements to system capabilities and performance. Automation in this context is a must, from detection to alerting
- Train other personnel.
Education: Bachelor’s degree and ten years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Deep understanding of information technology approaches, applications (which may include scientific applications), tools, and methodologies, as well as a broad background in a variety of technology platforms.
- Knowledge of architecture and interrelationships (technical and functional).
- Ability to combine information technologies to create solutions for complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and lead cross-functional teams.
- Proven track record of excellent technical execution and teamwork, able to deliver a project from top to bottom.
- Proficient in Cloud platforms and services.
- Proficient in Linux system administration, Windows a good-to-have
- Proficient in containerization and its orchestration.
- Proven track record in automating, including configuration/infrastructure as code.
- Good scripting skills in bash and at least one other mainstream language, also for interacting with REST APIs. Python preferred.
Why Stanford is for You
- Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or the opportunity to audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires an accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, opened in Spring 2019, is the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff, including University IT, whose jobs are important to supporting the University’s mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
We are not able to provide relocation for this position. Sponsorship is possible.
How to Apply
- We invite you to apply for this role by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button.
- Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
- Stanford is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 4770
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84783