Assistant/Associate Professor in Structural Engineering
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr’s School of Science and Engineering is making significant investments in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the School and its newly, formed Department of Civil Engineering to be a key player in the field, both nationally and internationally.
We are seeking inspirational academics to join our team. These individuals should be able to contribute to the success and growth of our department.
Applicants should have an earned doctorate in one of the following areas: Structural Dynamics, Steel Structures, Concrete Structures, or in an area related to Structural Materials or Structural Mechanics. Ideal candidates should have expertise in the development of new structural systems through large-scale laboratory experimentation; structural applications of new and non-traditional materials; rapidly deployable and reconfigurable structures; structural fuses with large deformation tolerance; new structural designs for improved blast and impact resistance; and use of self-sensing materials for immediate and long-term assessment of structural condition.
This opening will be a good opportunity to join a strong team of academics committed to enhancing the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr. The selected individual will be a key provider in Higher Education in his/her area of specialisation and be a contributor to international collaboration.
VACANCY AVAILABLE: One
SCHOOL/DEPARTMENT: Science and Engineering/Civil Engineering
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (Erbil)
REPORTING TO: Chair of the Department
APPOINTMENT DURATION: 3 Years
PROBATION: 12 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant/Associate Professor in Structural Engineering in consultation with the line manager, will:
- Plan, develop, and deliver Undergraduate and Postgraduate modules/courses in Civil/Structural Engineering with specialisations in expertise in the development of new structural systems through large-scale laboratory experimentation; structural applications of new and non-traditional materials; rapidly deployable and reconfigurable structures; structural fuses with large deformation tolerance; new structural designs for improved blast and impact resistance; and use of self-sensing materials for immediate and long-term assessment of structural condition, as well as, other areas of civil/structural engineering.
- Assess students and stimulate them to have the opportunity to be engaged and challenged.
- Design appropriate assessment methods and ensure established standards are maintained and timescales adhered to.
- Provide constructive and timely feedback to students and other stakeholders and advise on areas of concern and suggest improvement.
- Supervise Undergraduate and Postgraduate dissertations and/or projects relating to Civil Engineering, especially in the areas of specialisation.
- Carry out research and scholarly activities in Civil/Structural Engineering, especially in the areas of specialisation.
- Ensure research outcomes are relevant and applicable to key areas of teaching and benefit the students, University and the Kurdistan Region.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
- Develop new, and revise existing, Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs and modules to reflect latest developments in the subject areas.
- Communicate effectively with other Schools/Departments/Units within the University, and other relevant external institutions.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with industries, academics, research centres, and/or government institutions.
- Provide support, counselling and tutorials to students.
- Work co-operatively with academic colleagues as a member of teaching and research teams.
- Create a positive image of the University by being responsive and promptly responding to requests and enquiries.
- Develop syllabi and learning materials as appropriate and in accordance with University quality enhancement policy and processes, professional body requirements and with the aim of creating interest and learning amongst students.
- Participate in the daily life of the School and the Department by being involved in different pedagogic tasks and creating synergy between teaching, research and learning.
- Contribute to the management tasks in the School if required.
- Collaborate with colleagues and others in relation to student recruitment and marketing initiatives.
- Participate in meetings, activities, and boards.
- Assist the Dean of the School and the Chair of the Department in developing internal and external communities that promote the major field of study and the University.
- Receive, understand and convey complex conceptual ideas or complex information.
a. Giving a presentation to a group with diverse levels of understanding on a subject (e.g. Lectures, conference paper);
b. Presenting academic papers at workshops (internally or externally) or conferences;
c. Contributing to research group discussions regarding analysis of research, discussions with team members regarding scientific issues and problem solving;
d. Writing journal articles and material for publications;
e. Writing complex reports, letters or other documents dealing with complex, contentious and sensitive situations (e.g. writing a project plan for a committee, writing reports to grant awarding bodies on progress of research projects, preparing written analysis of research data);
f. Writing research grant applications.
• Contribute to the School’s/Department’s co-ordination of programmes/modules through, for example, Module Coordinator responsibilities and/or to the management and administration of programmes.
• Support the School and the Department in achieving consistency of performance by being an effective team member contributing to appropriate committees as part of the program and quality assurance and enhancement processes.
• Plan, prioritise and organize your own work or resources to achieve agreed objectives.
• Monitor progress against agreed action plans.
• Contribute to the planning of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) activity in an appropriate area and all related aspects.
• Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager. The Dean can dedicate the position holder to participate in administrative posts beside the scientific activities.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to email@example.com by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: Assistant/Associate Professor in Structural Engineering and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.