Research Fellow, Faculty of Science
- 5 years fixed term contract, $123,000 - $146,284 package which include leave loading and a generous superannuation contribution
- Located in the heart of Sydney’s bustling inner west quarter, close to beaches, parks, public transport and shopping districts
- Contribute to the design and development of scholarly research within the field of Chemistry
About the opportunity
The Research Fellow applies their learnings through research and scholarly activity to inform their research practice. The incumbent is expected to contribute to the design and development of scholarly research within the field of Chemistry, specifically in the areas of organometallic chemistry and catalysis of organic transformations. The Research Fellow will also use their particular expertise in surface supported catalysts and associated surface science methodologies, as well as advanced Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in the area of catalysis, in the role.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Fellow who has:
- PhD in Chemistry
- Experience in the design and facilitation of research methodologies relevant to organometallic and synthetic chemistry, catalysis and surface chemistry.
- Expertise in catalysis of organic transformations, in particular surface supported transition metal catalysts and associated surface science methodologies, and advanced Nuclear Magnetic Resonance.
- A developing research profile evidenced by original, high-quality and independent research in the discipline or area of expertise.
- A developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders
- Experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating research team activities
- A developing research profile evidenced by original, high-quality and independent research in the discipline or area of expertise
The successful candidate will also have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with ability to work both independently and as part of a large multi-disciplinary team, with an emphasis on prior demonstration of a collaborative philosophy. They will be able to demonstrate ability to work under pressure with competing priorities.
The Faculty of Science has a reputation for research excellence and is positioned as a leading provider of education across the spectrum of the sciences. Comprising the Schools of Chemistry, Geosciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics, Psychology, Veterinary Science, and the Unit for History and Philosophy of Science, the faculty also stewards a range of research entities such as the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics and the Sydney Institute of Agriculture (SIA).
Further information about the School of Chemistry can be found here.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1662/0819F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Monday 21 October 2019
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.