Research Associate in Mass Spectrometry
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Laboratory of Drs. Robert V. Farese, Jr., and Tobias Walther, and the Department of Genetics and Complex Diseases, at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Boston, MA
Work as a member of the research analytical platform at Harvard Chan to provide mass-spectrometry analyses for projects investigating the cell biology of lipid metabolism. Specifically, under the general supervision of the Principal Investigators, conduct mass-spectrometry based lipidomics and metabolomics experiments.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Perform mass-spectrometry based experiments for the analysis of sample lipid composition, as well as metabolomics, using LC-MS/MS workflows on different types of mass spectrometers and interpret the data for continued scientific use and publications. Develop, optimize and perform sample preparation for lipidomics experiments from a variety of sources, including operation of different HPLC setups.
- Oversee maintenance of critical instruments and reagents: mass spectrometer, HPLC/UPLC systems, N2 generators, C02 tanks and related instrumentation.
- Organizing and record keeping of collected data. Conduct comprehensive data analysis. Report data to supervisor and/or lab group. Contribute to scientific portions of publications and grant applications, supplying confirming data, graphs, imaging and substantial portions of methodology sections. Attend weekly lab meetings and report scientific progress and updates. Contribute professionally to problem resolution and results assessments.
- Work with and under the guidelines of Harvard University policy and occupational health and safety offices to monitor research areas.
- Oversee ordering of reagents and supplies, primarily for mass spectrometry experiments.
- Act as primary contact with vendors in support of laboratory purchasing, equipment, personnel and operations, particularly those pertaining to mass spectrometry.
- Ph.D. or equivalent with extensive experience and qualification in lipidomics, metabolomics, or both. Extensive experience in mass spectrometry data analysis.
- Working knowledge in analytical chemistry, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- High level of initiative and motivation; ability to work independently and with a team. Excellent communication, organization, time management, and record-keeping skills.
- 2 years of postdoctoral experience is recommended for Research Associate positions.
Please send application materials and the names of three references to Katrina Soriano, Interim Director of Administration, Department of Genetics and Complex Diseases at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.