ASTRO 3D Research Scientist in HI Surveys
Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
School of Physics, Maths and Computing
International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR)
- 3 year appointment on a full time basis
- Salary range: Level A step 8, $93,653 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
ICRAR is a WA State funded high profile equal joint venture established in 2009 between Curtin University and The University of Western Australia (UWA). The Centre’s headquarters are located at UWA, with research nodes at both UWA and Curtin. ICRAR is one of the lead Australian organisations participating in the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) Project. ICRAR has been further funded from 2019 to 2024 with $60 Million by the WA State Government and equal contribution from the Joint Venture Universities. ICRAR is one of the largest astronomy organisations in Australia.
ASTRO 3D is a $40m Research Centre of Excellence led by Professor Lisa Kewley. ASTRO 3D is funded over seven years by the Australian Research Council and supported by six collaborating Australian universities - ANU, University of Melbourne, University of Sydney, Swinburne University of Technology, University of Western Australia and Curtin University. Other Australian partners in the Centre include CSIRO, the Australian Astronomical Observatory and National Computational Infrastructure. ASTRO 3D includes collaborations with world leading international institutions.
The ASTRO 3D mission is to produce a comprehensive picture of the evolution of matter, the chemical elements, and ionizing radiation in the Universe from shortly after the Big Bang to the present day. ASTRO 3D trains the next generation of scientific leaders and conducts nationwide education and public outreach programs.
About the opportunity
This ASTRO 3D research position will be based at ICRAR/UWA and the focus is the WALLABY survey now being conducted with the Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) telescope by a team of over 100 national and international researchers. WALLABY is focused on studying the atomic hydrogen content of around 500,000 galaxies in the local Universe. Possible research areas include: Local Group galaxies and high-velocity clouds; the kinematics of Local Volume galaxies; environmental influences on galaxy interactions; galaxy formation and evolution, and cosmology. The UWA node of ASTRO 3D hosts the WALLABY principal investigator Professor Lister Staveley-Smith, project manager Dr Tobias Westmeier, science working group leaders Drs Barbara Catinella, Bi-Qing For, Luca Cortese and Ivy Wong, and strongly collaborates with other WALLABY and ASTRO 3D researchers based at other institutes. This vibrant project strongly connects with other ICRAR and ASTRO 3D observational and theoretical projects, and is an exciting precursor of science with the forthcoming Square Kilometre Array.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in astronomy or related discipline
- Expertise in area of astronomy relevant to the ASKAP WALLABY survey
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication
- Good publication record as evidenced by international refereed publications
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in distributed scientific collaborations
- An understanding of equal opportunity principles and policies and a commitment to their application in a university context
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Benefits: University offers 17% Superannuation benefits and support for relocation to Perth if required.
Closing date: Friday, 15 November 2019
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Applicants should clearly demonstrate that they meet the selection criteria. Applications must include a cover letter (addressing the selection criteria), curriculum vitae, publication list, and a brief (3 pages maximum) statement of research interests that includes a summary of relevant experience and a research plan focussed on the WALLABY survey.
Applicants should also arrange to have two letters of reference sent to Dr. Barbara Catinella (email@example.com) by the application deadline of 15 November 2019.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
- ICRAR supports equity, diversity and flexible work arrangements and actively encourage applications from female candidates.
- ICRAR-UWA has been conferred with the Pleiades Gold Award of the Astronomical Society of Australia for “exceptional and sustained demonstration of equity in the workplace and an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion in Astronomy at a national level”.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).