Postdoctoral Research Associate, Quantum Technology
1 day left
- Full Time
Department of Physics
Salary: £35,931 per annum - including London Allowance
Closing Date: Friday 18 October 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Full time, Fixed term (36 months)
Applications are invited for post of Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Physics (School of Engineering, Physical and Mathematical Sciences).
The successful applicant will join a three year project in the field of Coherent Quantum Phase Slip (CQPS) in superconducting nanowires. The project is funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. An active research team is working on the project, which includes three member of staff and four PhD students.
We expect applicant to have the following qualification and knowledge:
- PhD or equivalent in a related field of study;
- Work experience in the field of experimental superconductivity and Josephson junctions;
- Experimental skill in the field of superconducting qubits and superconducting quantum optics;
- Knowledge of quantum mechanics. Ability to evaluate quantum systems in dissipative environment, including numerical simulations;
- Work experience of modern nano-technological methods, micro-fabrication and Electron Beam Lithography;
- Work experience with dilution refrigerators;
- Work experience in microwave characterization of superconducting qubits by network and s pectrum analysers.
Main duties and accountabilities of the post:
- To undertake simulation of superconducting devices;
- To design and fabricate devices based on superconducting nanowires and superconducting qubits. This will include CAD design, clean-room processing, including nano-fabrication;
- To measure the devices in a dilution refrigerator at milliKelvin temperatures;
- Using creativity to analyse and interpret research data and draw conclusions on the outcomes;
- Writing up papers for publication in scientific journals;
- Making presentations at international conferences and scientific events;
- Using initiative and creativity to identify areas for research, develop new research methods and extending the research portfolio.
In return we offer a highly competitive rewards and benefits package including generous annual leave and training and development opportunities. The post is based in Egham, Surrey, where the College is situated in a beautiful, leafy campus near to Windsor Great Park and within commuting distance from London.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Prof. O Astafiev on Oleg.Astafiev@rhul.ac.uk or +44 (0)1784 414196
To view further details of this post and to apply please visit https://jobs.royalholloway.ac.uk. For queries on the application process the Human Resources Department can be contacted by email at: email@example.com.
Closing Date: Midnight, 18 October 2019
Interview Date: TBC
The College is committed to equality and diversity, and encourages applications from all sections of the community.
More searches like this
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Academic Posts jobs in Egham
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Postdocs jobs in Egham
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Research Related jobs in Egham
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Research Associate jobs in Egham