Postdoctoral Fellow in Remote Sensing for Animal Ecology
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to join the Davies Lab in the Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology at Harvard University. The Fellow will help design and execute research on animal ecology at landscape scales using a combination of advanced remote sensing techniques and animal data of various kinds (e.g. field surveys, GPS telemetry and manipulation experiments). The research will specifically focus on using Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) data to understand the role of animals in shaping African savanna landscapes.
LiDAR, optical, and thermal sensor data will be provided from unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) surveys, which the Fellow will have the opportunity to participate in. The Fellow will be expected to have the technical expertise to process these raw data streams to ecologically useful forms to support their research, as well as the Davies Lab more broadly. The Fellow should therefore have expertise in managing remotely sensed data, as well as a good understanding of its application to ecology. Experience in terrestrial, animal and/or savanna ecology will be an advantage.
- PhD in ecology, zoology, environmental science, plant science, remote sensing or a related field by the time of appointment
- A solid track record of scientific publications
- Demonstrable expertise in processing LiDAR data
- Coding fluency in either Python or R, and familiarity with both, comfortable operating directly from the UNIX command line
- Familiarity with QGIS, ArcGIS, ENVI and/or Google Earth Engine
- Willingness to travel internationally, sometimes to remote locations
Please submit the following materials through the ARIeS portal.
- Cover letter outlining your interests and suitability for the position
- Curriculum Vitae
- PDFs of up to three published papers
- Names and contact information of three references
Application review will begin October 15th and continue until the position is filled.
For information on the application process please contact Tracy Barbaro: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Davies Lab, please visit our website: https://davieslab.oeb.harvard.edu/
Enquires about specific requirements and/or expectations of the position can be directed to Prof. Andrew Davies: email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.