Assistant Lecturer in Politics and International Relations
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is a leading University in the Kurdistan Region – Iraq and we are at an exciting stage in our development. The Politics and International Relations (PIR) Department is making a significant investment in their academic positions to support its strategic development over the next five years and to help further position the Department as a key player in politics and international relations.
NUMBER OF VACANT POSITION: One
DEPARTMENT: Politics and International Relations (PIR)
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
REPORTING TO: Chair of Department
APPOINTMENT DURATION: 3 Years
PROBATION: 6 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant Lecturer in Politics and International Relations, in consultation with the line-manager, will:
- Plan, design, develop and deliver modules in close coordination with senior faculty members in areas of politics and international relations, specifically, but not limited to areas of specialisation to provide effective teaching strategies and meet the group and individual needs of students.
- Assess student performance in modules taught using both formative and summative assessments and evaluations.
- Provide oral and written timely feedback to students and other stakeholders.
- Provide support and tutorials to students.
- Participate in academic administration, including student recruitment, student support, student induction, marketing, admission, tutor induction and support, tutor observation and feedback, and attendance at course and staff meetings.
- Engage in continuous professional development through participation in pedagogical seminars, workshops, and trainings as required.
- Carry out scholarly activities in the areas of specialisation.
- Ensure research outcomes are relevant and applicable to key areas of teaching and benefit the students, University and the Kurdistan Region.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
- Participate in departmental meetings, activities, and boards.
- Assist in supervision of dissertations and/or projects relating to areas of specialisation.
- Assist in solving routine day-to-day problems as they arise.
- Assist in teaching outside of the core university hours (08:30 am to 4:30 pm) and in locations other than the main University Campus when required.
- Assist in preparing, selecting and using appropriate teaching-learning materials; including the use of textbooks, in-house materials and self-created materials.
- Provide teaching cover in the absence of other colleagues.
- Assist in building strong collaborative links with industries, academics, research centres, and/or government institutions.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager.
- Candidates with Master’s degree or equivalent can be employed as Assistant Lecturers. Instructors from Kurdistan Region and Iraq would be required to successfully complete a six months teaching certificate. They are also given a period of five years to publish a minimum of two papers in preparation for promotion to Lecturer. Beyond the five-year period, if unsuccessful, instructors would be taken out of the teaching staff.
Foreign Instructors would be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fluency in English Language - Reading, Writing and Speaking (ability to teach in English).
- A recognised Teaching Certificate at the university level.
- A strong knowledge of subject areas combined with a broad subject background and ability to contribute to teaching modules in the relevant area(s).
- The ability to teach across programmes, curricula and to deliver specialist options and to supervise dissertations and project works.
- Interpersonal, planning and organisational skills.
- The ability to effect change in a positive way.
- A good team player with the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students.
- Commitment to continuous professional development, academic research and income generation.
- A consistent record of teaching feedback in the relevant areas of specialisation.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by indicating the Vacancy Title and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal
- Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at Current Vacancies on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.