Professor of E-governance
The Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies at the University of Tartu (Estonia) invites applications for the position of a
PROFESSOR of E-governance (ECePS ERA Chair)
for the period of 1 September, 2020 until 31 August, 2024.
The Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies at the University of Tartu is looking for a highly qualified candidate to build a top-level research team capable of conducting cutting-edge research on e-governance as part of the Horizon 2020 ERA Chair in e-Governance and Digital Public Services (ECePS) project. The successful candidate should be capable of making bridges between ICT and Social Science research. Another goal of the research should be to turn research based on Big Data into practically applicable e-governance/public services solutions. In carrying out this work, the ECePS ERA Chair will have access to multiple resources. This includes the benefits of working in Estonia, a leader in e-governance implementation. Estonia is ranked 2nd in the EU’s Digital Scorecard and has 15 years of anonymized e-governance log data, covering over 5 billion e-services transactions that span various aspects of governance from health to criminal justice to online voting.
ECePS is a 5-year project intended to create an internationally recognized research team on e-governance, public e-services and data-driven public innovation, which will be capable of conducting cutting-edge research that examines three fundamental questions of scientific and practical importance:
- How to harness the benefits of digital transformation of government while minimizing the associated risks and ensuring security, privacy and equal access?
- How can obstacles that prevent governments from implementing e-governance systems be overcome?
- How can researchers and practitioners best utilize the vast amounts of data that is already being generated throughout the world (via existing public e-services)?
The University of Tartu is the leading research university in New Europe (Times Higher Education 2018) and is ranked in the top 1.2% of the world's best universities (QS World University Rankings 2019). According to information on the ISI Web of Science, UT belongs to the top 1% of the world's most-cited universities and research institutions. The Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies at the UT is ranked in the 101-150 range for Politics and International Studies by the QS World University Rankings by Subject in 2019.
The general duties of the Professor (ECePS ERA Chair) include:
- engaging in research, teaching and dissemination activities in the realm of e-governance and digital public services in close cooperation with public and private institutions both within Estonia and internationally;
- recruiting and leading a top-level research team of approximately five researchers;
- working on applied projects in the e-governance domain;
- actively seeking research and development funding and leading grant projects;
- building research collaborations inside the University of Tartu with scholars from the Departments of Social Science, Economics, Law and Computer Science;
- developing fruitful collaborations with research groups outside of UT;
- publishing research results in high-impact journals and helping others in the unit to do so;
- supervising MA and PhD theses on e-governance and related topics;
- teaching and developing new MA-level courses on e-governance;
- engaging in dissemination activities to raise public awareness and understanding.
Required qualifications: PhD or an equivalent qualification.
The candidate should have:
- at least 9 articles published in high-impact international peer-reviewed journals, including 5 articles published in the past 5 years in e-governance and/or related fields;
- a successful track record in obtaining international research funding;
- experience in leading a research team;
- experience in leading research and applied grant projects;
- significant teaching experience;
- experience in supervising master and doctoral students.
Terms of employment: The contract period is four years, with a start date preferably in September 2020 (or sooner if possible). Salary level is approximately 9000 EUR gross per month (current Estonian income tax rate 20%). A generous annual leave of 56 calendar days is offered. The position is initially for 4 years with the option of re-election to a permanent position. Please note that the cost of living in Estonia is below the EU average.
Application procedures: Applications must be sent to the UT Human Resources Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; postal address: 18 Ülikooli St, Tartu 50090 ESTONIA). For detailed information on how to apply, visit https://www.ut.ee/en/welcome/job-offer/professor-e-governance
Application deadline is 3 February 2020.
For more detailed information:
ECePS ERA Chair project: http://eceps.ut.ee/open-positions
University of Tartu: http://www.ut.ee
Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies: https://skytte.ut.ee/en
More information about Estonia: https://www.euraxess.ee/estonia/information-assistance
Contact: For more information, contact Varje Kuut (email@example.com)