- Fixed-term 12 Month Contract
- Based in Hobart
The Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) is a national collaborative research infrastructure, supported by the Australian Government. IMOS provides a national, multi-institutional capability to undertake systematic and sustained observing of the marine environment, from the open ocean onto the continental shelf and into the coast, and across physical, chemical and biological variables.
The software engineer will assist in the implementation, ongoing development, support and maintenance of the information infrastructure underpinning IMOS and Australian Ocean Data Network (AODN).
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the AODN Portal and supporting infrastructure. This will involve interaction with open-source projects such as GeoNetwork.
- Develop programming code for system architecture, data and metadata management, transfer and archiving, presentation and visualisation.
- Develop application tools, web interfaces and web services as needs evolve.
- Work with other members of the IMOS/AODN on system delivery, protocols and standards for data/metadata transfer, archival and delivery.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- Tertiary qualification in Computer Science with relevant experience or equivalent extensive experience.
- Experience and competence developing web applications and REST or SOAP web services using Java and/or Python frameworks.
- Experience with relational databases, ideally PostGreSQL and PostGIS.
- Experience with database persistence programming including ORM frameworks such as Hibernate.
- Demonstrated methodical approach to development and documentation of software.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse range of people and work flexibly and proactively as a member of a team.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 7 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $105,219 comprising base salary within the range of $87,423 to $96,090 plus 9.5% superannuation.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide your resume, cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role, and your responses to the position/selection criteria
- For further information about this position, please contact Cameron Moloney, Team Leader – Information Infrastructure, Cameron.Moloney@utas.edu.au 03 6226 8586
- Please visit http://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying2 for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Monday, 7 October 2019, 11:55pm