At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Have you always wanted to be challenged by the exploitation of mechatronics and control systems for beam intercepting devices in the CERN accelerators? Do you want to manage projects from the initial design stages up to the commissioning phases? If so, bring your knowledge and skills in design, development and maintenance of complex mechatronic devices to CERN. Take part!
You will join:
Within the Engineering Department, the Survey Mechatronics and Measurements Group (SMM), and in particular the Mechatronics, Robotics and Operation section, is responsible for the design and the operation of the mechatronics of the CERN accelerators beam intercepting devices (BIDs) as well as the development of robotic solutions for remote inspections and tele-manipulation in hazardous areas. The SMM group is, in addition, responsible for geodetic metrology of the accelerators and experiments for the whole CERN site and provides support for all measurements, test systems and data analysis applications based on LabVIEW. In addition, the group provides support on radiation tests of electronic components and systems for radiation tolerant design.
As a Mechatronics Engineer in the SMM Group, you will follow-up on the exploitation of the control systems of all the devices under the responsibility of the SMM Group (collimators, scrapers, dumps, etc) and propose preventive and corrective actions to adapt their performance to the ever evolving needs of CERN’s accelerator complex operation. You will drive the mechatronics engineering aspect for innovation projects from concept through verification and validation and on to implementation. You will design and implement new control systems based on the requirement of new projects. In particular, you will:
- Take responsibility for the design, production, acceptance tests, and operation of mechatronic systems with particular focus on the electronics and controls aspects.
- Develop and support low-level control algorithms on different real-time platforms applying advanced control systems theory techniques.
- Design, develop and support test benches for the acceptance tests of sensors, actuators, and control electronics chassis for series production.
- Prepare functional requirements for control process system applications and write technical specifications.
- Under operational conditions, monitor, test and debug complex mechatronic devices to understand and correct possible root-cause failure mode.
- Mentor junior developers.
- Interact with other groups at CERN, in particular those in charge of mechanical design and maintenance, in order to optimise the performance of the devices
PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science, robotics, mechatronics, electrical or electronic engineering, computer engineering, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in mechatronics with a sincere passion for control theory, tests, measurements and signal processing.
- Experience with software development for the control of hardware systems.
- Proven experience in the design and operation of control systems and their performance and availability monitoring.
- Experience in working with motion actuators and sensors and their driving electronics.
- Proficiency in testing and debugging complex electromechanical systems.
- Experience with robotics low-level control is considered an asset.
- Knowledge and application of automation and control theory: design and application of advanced controls theories, signal processing, advanced data analysis techniques and algorithms (non-linear, adaptive, predictive, etc).
- Design and simulation of DSP-based electronics: design and exploitation of real time control systems based on CPU and DSP. Programming C, C++ for DSP firmware development and/or real-time software under Linux.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems: installation, operation and maintenance of advanced data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems.
- Knowledge and implementation of remote-handling and robot manipulation systems: functional analysis of control systems and low-level robotic controls.
- Design and construction of mechatronic and robotic systems.
- Knowledge and application of power electronics techniques: knowledge of power electronics would be a plus.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 13.10.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
Job grade: 6-7
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further