About Stanford University's Hoover Institution: The Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, and Peace is a public policy research center devoted to the advanced study of economics, politics, history, and political economy both domestic and foreign as well as international affairs.
Founded in 1919 by Herbert Hoover before he became the thirty-first president of the United States, the Institution began as a repository of historical material gathered at the end of World War I. The library and archives have grown to be among the largest private repositories of documents on twentieth-century political and economic history. Over time the Institution expanded its mission from collecting archival material to conducting advanced research on contemporary history and economics and applying this scholarship to current public policy challenges.
With its eminent scholars and world-renowned library and archives, the Hoover Institution seeks to improve the human condition by advancing ideas that promote economic opportunity and prosperity while securing and safeguarding peace for America and all humanity.
Install, configure, upgrade, administer, monitor, and maintain operationally efficient databases and database systems as well as overseeing the computer systems for Hoover Development staff and coordinating additions and upgrades to computer equipment with Hoover IT staff under general supervision.
- Install, configure, and support relational database management systems (RDBMS). Work on databases using intermediate level database design and programming techniques.
- Perform resource and usage management (performance/ optimization tuning).
- Manage backup/recovery services for data/database systems.
- Coordinate and monitor usage of database, including potential security issues/vulnerabilities, and assure the integrity of database.
- Perform ongoing and problem diagnostics, resolve operational and user problems, and interface with vendors on technical issues as required.
- Participate in the design, configuration, and implementation of new database environments, systems, and tools.
- Perform other database administration activities as necessary including:
- Onboard new system users and train existing users in new applications, techniques, and processes
- Responsible for maintaining accuracy of database records and designing processes to insure ongoing accuracy including overseeing the accuracy of the work product of the gift processing staff
- Research donor information for accuracy and completeness and oversee research efforts by other staff, determining processes and standards of accuracy
- Design solutions for data entry and retrieval for input and output end users
- Provide technical documentation on system setup and operational procedures for users.
- Maintain current knowledge of technology trends and their application in the marketplace; such as analyzing and recommending new software products to aid in data retrieval, accessibility, and accuracy and to improve systems efficiency.
ADDITIONAL CORE DUTIES*:
Design, generate, troubleshoot and presenting routine and ad hoc reports to management
Design criteria and formatting for data pulls for various purposes
Oversee data collection and entry, utilizing global import processes as appropriate
* Other duties may also be assigned.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with the installation and operation of a relational database system and database applications.
- Experience with external user functions, internal systems services, and file system structures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of systems platform.
- Experience with installing and configuring relational databases management systems software.
- Extensive experience in database administration with proven ability to track and report on capacity, current utilization and projected growth, and general health of databases.
- Experience with database design and programming techniques such as views, triggers, and stored procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of database security protocols.
- Demonstrated knowledge of modeling techniques.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems of moderate scope independently, especially on networked computers of varying types and operating systems.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team member.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Desired/Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with Raiser's Edge databases and advanced functionality of Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook strongly desired
- Experience with NXT, Papersave, Import-O-Matic, Sales Force, Crystal Reports, MSAccess databases, and Aventri event management database systems preferred
Certifications and Licenses:
Raiser's Edge Professional Certification strongly preferred
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Extended and weekend hours.
- Must be available for on-call work.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients as well as with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- The Hoover Institution at Stanford University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 4761
Employee Status: Regular
Department URL: http://www.hoover.org
Requisition ID: 84629