Assistant/Associate Professor in Political Science
The Department of Political Science and International Relations in the School of Sciences and Humanities (SSH) at Nazarbayev University invites applications for two open-rank positions. The Political Science and International Relations Department is in the process of expanding to serve the wider university community, and we are looking for candidates who want to work with motivated students and contribute to our developing undergraduate and graduate programs. Successful candidates will be expected to teach introductory courses as well as upper level courses in our undergraduate program and graduate courses in our Master’s program.
- PhD degree in Political Science (or ABD with designated date of completion) from an accredited and recognized Western university is required;
- Teaching experience at university level;
- An active research agenda (previous publications in peer-reviewed journals will be considered as a plus);
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context;
- An interest in continuing professional development;
We are looking for candidates whose research profile and teaching interests does not duplicate the Department’s current strengths, but a preference will be given to candidates whose teaching and research focus are International Relations.
This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should submit a cover letter in which they are detailing their research and teaching interests, a curriculum vitae, three letters of reference including at least one from someone who can address the candidate's teaching abilities and teaching evaluations. Questions related to the position, the university, or living and working in Nur-Sultan should be directed to Dr. Spencer Willardson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicants are invited to send all their material via this link: (https://smrtr.io/3rBpV) before November 15. Letters of recommendation should be sent directly by the referees to Dr. Willardson at his aforementioned email. Incomplete applications will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in Higher Education. The strategic partner of SSH is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. Most students participate in a foundation year program, and thus enter SSH with extensive English language training and academic preparation. All classes are taught in English.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
- highly competitive compensation;
- housing based on family size and rank;
- relocation allowance;
- air tickets to home country, twice per year;
- no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage;
- educational allowance for children.