Director, Business Analytics
Improvement, Analytics, and Innovation Services
We are a newly formed department within Stanford tasked with providing management and operational consulting services to a highly complex university administration with hundreds of business processes and dozens of major systems. Our team of internal consultants strives to create, instill, and sustain a business improvement discipline that delivers transformed and efficient processes through a data-driven approach.
The Business Analytics team is instrumental in executing our vision by providing essential data services both internally within our department as well as to our various clients. This team is composed of data professionals that cover a broad spectrum of skills such as data visualization, data engineering, statistics, machine learning, and optimization. We are in search of a seasoned director who will lead a current team of three (data engineer, senior data scientist, and business intelligence analyst) on a multitude of projects as well as identify new opportunities with a diverse internal clientele that span across university functions from administration to research. In additional to the technical data skills you bring, we also value your ability to manage and develop a successful and productive team.
The team will support projects across Stanford that range from identifying the impact of collaborative research, building an automated way to classify university expenditures, to identifying opportunities to improve the student services staff onboarding experience.
Take a closer look at what we’re up to https://www.youtube.com/user/StanfordUniversity and dive deeper into our vision: https://ourvision.stanford.edu/
Your responsibilities include:
- Manage, coach, and lead a team of data professionals with varying skill levels and backgrounds
- Build lasting relationships with our clients by providing data-driven solutions to their most impactful business problems
- Make strategic decisions on our project portfolio, establish practical project timelines, and allocate resources in order to deliver solutions to our clients
- Create an environment for your team to succeed and remove any barriers that are detrimental to productivity
- Manage the performance and career development of the team
- Market our services to Stanford by speaking at various outlets and community meet-ups
- Implement guidelines, policies, and standards for the team to follow
- Perform business analysis and capture requirements from clients regarding their various data needs
- As necessary, get hands-on with various aspects of work done by the team such as writing scripts for data analysis or building a data visualization or interactive dashboard
Knowledge, skills, and abilities you bring:
- Broad knowledge in the data analytics space from data pipeline development and business intelligences to statistics and machine learning.
- Demonstrates rigorous attention to detail when conducting analysis on a business problem as well as when delivering a solution
- Impeccable ability to find the most appropriate communication style depending on the audience, e.g. technical level with developers, strategic level with business managers
- Fearlessness to dive into the gritty technical details of a particular solution
- Kean ability to translate complex concepts around data into layman terms
- Solid understanding of scripting languages such as Python, R including relevant packages used in data analysis
- Solid understanding of systems architecture and various forms of database technologies such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, etc.
- Hands-on experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau and Oracle BI
- Ability to design reporting data models that are precisely aligned with the business questions being asked
- An eye for good data visualization design
- Understanding of UI/UX as it relates to building interactive dashboards
- Experience using git to track source code
- Experience working closely with data scientists and report developers
- Experience eliciting, interpreting, and documenting user requirements in the context of data analysis
- Ability to lead multiple activities in a diverse environment
Working at Stanford:
- Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources. http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/pay-and-rewards/a-competitive-edge
- Legacy and Innovation. Our new state-of-the-art campus in Redwood City is a vibrant workplace with many great amenities to take in across our 35–acre site. Attend a meeting in our new multi–faceted conference rooms. Or get in a great workout at our impressive 28,000 square–foot Recreation & Wellness Center complete with a six–lane rooftop pool and indoor basketball court.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more!
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job Code: 4806
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84610