Visiting Faculty in Finance
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: November 10 2019 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Duration: January 15 2020 - May 15 2020
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a Visiting Faculty Member with a background in Finance to teach sophomore and junior students an Introduction to Finance/Financial Theory course at the Khorog Campus in Tajikistan. In your role as a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to helping students to explore the capital budgeting principles and explains how financial securities and intermediaries provide risk-pooling and risk-sharing opportunities for both households and business firms. The functioning of the financial system as a whole, the pricing of various financial securities, risk-return trade-off, portfolio theory, and corporate finance are discussed. The course focuses on exploring ways in which financial modelling tools can be applied to Central Asian economies.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student-centred environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students are fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure they master and apply the material.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s Degree from an internationally recognized university in Finance.
- Ph.D. from an internationally recognised university would be an asset
- University teaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated understanding of pedagogy, i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- English is required, and some knowledge of Russian, or Tajik (Persian) would be an asset
Timing and Location
- In the 2019-2020 academic year, you teach classes at the: Khorog Campus from January 15 till May 15 2020
Salary and Package
Commensurate with qualification and experience to attract the best candidate.
The job description is subject to change.
How to Apply
Please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 10 2019. Please use: “Finance Faculty Member” as the subject header and how you heard about us.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted