At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a skilled Software Engineer passionate about developing mission-critical systems? Would you like to take an active role in the design and development of systems integral to the behaviour of CERN’s particle accelerators? Then join the Controls Data Services team at CERN and realize your potential. Take Part!
You will join:
- The BE Department, responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for the LHC and its injector accelerators.
- The CO Group, responsible for providing and supporting the controls infrastructure used to operate and maintain these particle accelerators 24 hours a day.
- The DS Section: a dynamic and quality-oriented agile team, responsible for the mission-critical database centric services, associated applications and user interfaces.
As a Software Engineer in the DS Section, you will join a team to provide software systems to facilitate accelerator fault tracking, infrastructure layout (topology) management, control system configuration, and data acquisition and logging. In this team you will take a major role in the development and evolution of the aforementioned systems which are critical for CERN’s mission and used all over CERN. In particular you will:
- Participate in the whole software development lifecycle (requirements, design, development, testing), following a modern agile approach.
- Communicate with the end-users of the services to understand their needs and help translate these into appropriate software solutions.
- Interact with skilled and motivated software engineers on a daily basis to deliver quality results.
- Investigate, diagnose and resolve operational problems.
- Mentor junior developers.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing, computer science, software engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in Java development using Spring and JPA.
- Proven experience to build new software systems and evolve existing ones.
- Experience applying software quality assurance techniques and practice with corresponding tools.
- Professional experience with relational databases including a strong knowledge of SQL.
- Development of application software: core software design principles and application development.
- Design of databases/repositories: sQL (Oracle DBMS is a plus).
- Systems integration: integration and testing of components and/or subsystems and their interfaces.
- Application support: provide support of operational systems.
- Technical advice and guidance: working with end users to understand their needs and provide corresponding technical solutions.
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer Thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies
- Working in Teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements Instigating and promoting change as an opportunity for organisational development
Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.10.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further