Associate Director, Alumni And Student Class Outreach
As part of the Stanford Alumni Association’s (SAA) Alumni & Student Class Outreach team (ASCO), the Associate Director, Student Programs will perform a team leadership role for new and current student programs and projects for both undergraduate and graduate students; develop strategies for and across alumni and student relations departments; conduct program evaluation and marketing analysis; and link strategies to business and departmental objectives. The Associate Director will represent SAA across campus in regard to student affairs and serve as a high-level ambassador of SAA’s student engagement efforts. The Associate Director will be an active part of the Sr. Management team of our department, working with the Director to accomplish our department’s goals.
Your responsibilities include:
- Manage, recruit, coach, and develop two (2) full-time alumni relations staff providing them with supervision, guidance and mentoring in goalsetting, performance management, skill building and professional growth.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans, policies, and procedures for both undergraduate and graduation student engagement.
- Work with high level partners and colleagues across campus to identify develop program strategies and create trusted partnerships.
- Partner with SAA’s marketing department on select communications – ensuring clarity of programs and accurate communications.
- Evaluate programs and services for customer satisfaction.
- Broad oversight of the budgets for student programs for both undergraduate and graduate programs and making strategic decisions around where best to invest resources.
- Plan, manage and execute specific student events throughout the academic year.
- Negotiate high level contracts with vendors and oversee the quality of delivered products and services.
- Represent organization to internal and external groups, regarding business and program activities.
- Serve in the Class Manager role for one reunion class, including recruit, train, and oversee volunteers for one class, plan and execute all class events, write effective communications for that class.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in the role you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Excellent management skills, including coaching and developing staff.
- Strong interpersonal, team and leadership skills; tact and flexibility in working with diverse population groups.
- Proven decision-making skills and the ability to understand and solve complex questions.
- Strong ability to understand customer needs.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills and the ability to plan and oversee special events.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Proven experience in management, alumni volunteer relations and/or student affairs.
- A high level of knowledge of Stanford and sophisticated alumni relations and student affairs skills.
- Superior project management abilities.
- Ability to be high-functioning and work independently under occasionally stressful circumstances
- A high level of maturity and discretion in dealing with sensitive situations involving senior University administrators, students and alumni.
- Deep knowledge of the importance of Stanford traditions and current student interests and concerns.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- May work some evenings and weekends
- SAA CITIZENSHIP: In support of SAA's values and mission and to engage and interact closer with our customers, the alumni of Stanford University, you are expected to spend approximately sixteen (16) hours (with pay) over the course of the year staffing events outside of your regular job duties. Typically these events occur during the evening or weekend. They include such SAA-sponsored events as Commencement, Reunion Homecoming and STARS.
Job Code: 3485
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84600