Big Data Architect
Stanford University, Center for Biomedical Research (BMIR) is seeking a Big Data architect to engineer complex Big Data architecture and analytical solutions. The Center for Biomedical Research (BMIR) design and develop applications, test and build automation tools.At the Stanford we develop cutting-edge ways to acquire, represent, and process information about human health. In order to handle the ever increasing amounts of data in healthcare and biomedical research, our faculty, students, and staff investigate and create novel computational, statistical, organizational, and decision-making methods. Our research advances the state of the art in semantic technology, biostatistics, and the modeling of biomedical systems to benefit clinical and translational research as well as patient care.
- Lead and perform the design, development, implementation and maintenance of complex Big Data systems and data-intensive solutions that are scalable, optimized, and fault-tolerant.
- Define and develop guidelines, standards, and processes to ensure data quality and integrity.
- Elicit, review, and validate data system requirements, including data integration, Meta data, and modeling. Design the data architecture and data integration layers.
- Use software development best practices to develop prototypes, proof of concepts for the selected solutions, and ensure effective application and integration.
- May oversee the work of others.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Proficiency in Python, object oriented programming languages and current knowledge of latest software and design standards.
- Experience with current front (UI/UX) and back end (database, json, etc.) technologies.
- Ability to mentor, motivate and provide guidance to other team members on definitive tasks.
- Design new conceptual and logical data models and flowcharts from existing database schemas.
- Document and communicate existing and new database schemas, using accepted notations.
- Develop database solutions to store and retrieve data required by our team.
- Coordinate with the researchers of our team to identify future needs and requirements.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor’s degree in scientific or analytic field and eight years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Advanced degree may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Experience using and designing key data structures, algorithms and techniques pertinent to systems that support high volume, velocity, or variety datasets including (data mining, machine learning, NLP, data retrieval).
- Advanced level knowledge of relational, NoSQL, or NewSQL database systems, and data modeling, structured and unstructured.
- Advanced level knowledge of parallel and distributed data processing techniques and platforms (MPI, Map/Reduce, Batch) and systems.
- Advanced level knowledge in scripting languages, expertise with high performance/systems languages and techniques.
- Experience in benchmark software development and programmable fields/systems, ability to analyze systems and data pipelines and propose solutions that leverage emerging technologies.
- Expertise architecting and deploying reliable data systems and data quality management systems.
- Ability to use and integrate security controls for web applications, mobile platforms, and backend systems.
- Extensive experience in the evaluation, design, and deployment of new tools, frameworks, and patterns to build scalable Big Data platforms.
- Ability to document use cases, solutions and recommendations.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills.
- Project management skills and ability to understand and apply systems for storing and analyzing datasets.
- Ability to mentor, motivate and provide guidance to staff on definitive tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation and perform desk-based computer tasks, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh to ten pounds.
- Occasionally sit, use a telephone or write by hand.
- Rarely kneel, crawl, climb, twist, bend, stoop, squat, reach or work above shoulders, sort, file paperwork or parts, operate foot and hand controls.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
Job Code: 4735
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84601