Graduate Apprentice IT Management for Business
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name Graduate Apprentice Office
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Graduate Apprentice Team is responsible for the development and management of Graduate Apprenticeship programmes at the University. The team is also responsible for employer engagement, apprentice recruitment, information gathering and dissemination, and maintaining relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
This role is suitable for a Graduate Apprentice looking to undertake study towards a first degree, IT Management for Business. Further details of the courses can be found here: https://www.hw.ac.uk/business/graduate-apprenticeships.htm. The successful candidate will work within the Graduate Apprenticeship Team, as a member of team assisting in the day to day running of the office with additional specific tasks detailed below. Reporting to the Director of Apprenticeships, the post holder will:
- Develop tools for effective data storage, retrieval and analysis;
- Produce informative dashboards of information, including statistical analysis;
- Devise appropriate and efficient data storage and encryption methods;
- Devise appropriate regular and ad hoc data reports to enable internal and external reporting to stakeholders; and
- Develop project delivery plans and operation plans for new initiatives.
- Contribute to the general work of the Graduate Apprenticeship Team
Key duties and responsibilities
The post holder will:
- Assist in the production of reports: creating, updating, manipulating and summarising data, completing reports with a high degree of accuracy and understanding;
- Undertake IT-based project support for a wide range of projects relevant to Graduate Apprenticeships, e.g.: - Providing secure mechanisms for the collection, storage, interrogation and reporting of accurate data relevant to the recruitment and engagement of employers - Produce documentation and training to support use of all IT tools relevant to the GA team - Develop data analysis tools for regular and ad hoc reporting of apprenticeship data;
- With guidance from colleagues in the Graduate Apprenticeship Team, write, update and improve guidance and other documentation for distribution;
- Assist in arranging and actively participate in various meetings, including taking meeting notes and maintaining/updating various logs;
- Resolve day to day issues, working with the Graduate Apprenticeship Team and other colleagues (where appropriate) to resolve more complex issues;
- Maintain strict adherence to data protection and confidentiality rules in all aspects of the role; and
- Support the Graduate Apprenticeship Team and other colleagues in any other tasks commensurate with the role.
It is expected that the role-holder will perform them to at least an effective standard at all times.
- Team Work
- Participate in and contribute to the general support across the Graduate Apprentice team.
- Support other colleagues within the immediate team when required
- Participate in working groups and committees within the team and university as required,
- Service Excellence
- Create a positive image of the University by being responsive, prompt and courteous when responding to requests or enquiries from customers
- Produce standard and non-standard reports as requested, and work with the Senior Assistant to the Principal to develop more complex and ad-hoc reports as required
- Enter and maintain records and data into systems
- Keep working area clean and tidy in line with appropriate H&S and confidentiality requirements - Liaise with internal and external teams to ensure an effective service
- Clear and Consistent Communications
- Write standard communications using templates, understanding what parts of the template to use as appropriate
- Use telephone and other systems to receive calls and give information
- Explain routine instructions, procedures, operating instructions or information
- Reply to simple requests for information, routing enquiries where information is standard/routine
- Discuss routine work matters with supervisors
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Disseminate news and information to relevant customers and colleagues via the University Intranet, including using Skype, webinars and self-help videos
- Record and produce accurate minutes when required.
- Planning and Organising
- Assisting in the management of projects or short pieces of work
- Arrange meetings/workshops for internal or external customers, including room and equipment, hospitality and invites to attendees as appropriate
- Contribute to drafting of standard procedures within your team
- File, archive and destroy data in line with the University Data Protection & Retention Policy
- Provide appropriate admin support for meetings and events
- Support team processes and procedures by meeting schedules and timetables
- Carry out routine instructions from standard procedures
- Initiative and Problem Solving
- Act as first point of contact for queries from customers by phone, email, system-generated and in person
- Use standard procedures and guidelines to solve local, day to day issues
- Use experience and initiative to identify when to pass non-standard issues to line manager
- Identify and support process improvement
- React to problems using judgement and past experience to solve routine issues
- Decision Making
- Provide routine advice and guidance, respond to queries and refer more complex queries to more senior members of the team as appropriate
- Follow set procedures and protocols referring any non-standard requests to line manager
- Understand the appropriate tools to use when undertaking day to day tasks
- Make day to day decisions in prioritising own workload
- Provide advice and guidance, respond to queries and refer more complex queries to more senior members of the team or the external supplier as appropriate
- Demonstrate the University Values at all times through performance and behaviour
- Participate in ad-hoc duties to support the team/University and for personal development
- Support newer or inexperienced colleagues within and outside the University by offering support, help and advice
- Positively promote the University internally and externally through positive behaviour and supporting University-wide activities
This job description is intended as a flexible framework which outlines the key general areas of activity in your position. Other activities may be required which are not outlined above but which are appropriate to the position and grade. Your personal objectives (Forward Job Plan) will also set out specific tasks and objectives for you to achieve, including objectives to help your career development.As you progress through your degree, and develop your skills and talents in the role, your responsibilities and remuneration will also increase accordingly.
Education, qualifications and experience
The successful candidate will need to be accepted for enrolment onto the Graduate Apprenticeship MA(Hons) IT Management for Business programme, which will be a condition of any offer of employment.We will expect your covering letter and / or CV to demonstrate how your skills and experience, gained either at work or as part of your studies, makes you suitable for this role and in particular the following areas:
- Educated to Scottish Highers or equivalent, including an appropriate qualification in English, or equivalent work experience
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages, including email / calendar, word processing, and Spreadsheet packages
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
- Demonstrable provision of excellent customer service
- Attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge and application of Microsoft Excel (e.g. exporting data into Excel, Pivot Tables) and other Microsoft Office software
- Experience of coding simple applications
- Experience of presenting data in appropriate formats
- Experience of using shared data and information management systems
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 17th September.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Minimum Salary 16420
Maximum Salary 16736
Amount of Travel No Travel