Writing and Communication Instructor
Writing and Communication Instructors
School of Sciences and Humanities
The School of Sciences and Humanities (SSH) at Nazarbayev University invites applications for Instructors of Writing and Communication to join the Writing Center Program in January 2020.
The Writing Center Program teaches writing and communication courses in undergraduate and graduate programs and supports a robust culture of writing across the university. Due to expansion, we are looking for talented educators who want to work with motivated students and contribute to our developing programs. Successful candidates will be expected to teach our first-year Rhetoric and Composition course, as well as discipline- or division-specific writing and communication courses at intermediate and advanced levels. Instructors also serve as tutors in the Writing Center, and may be involved in supporting students and faculty across the university through our Writing Across the Curriculum and Writing Fellows initiatives.
Instructors teach the equivalent of a 4/4 course load.
Successful candidates will have:
- a master’s degree in Rhetoric and Composition, Science Writing, Professional/Technical Writing, Communication, or related field, OR a master’s degree in an unrelated field complemented by experience with writing pedagogy
- experience teaching freshmen composition or public speaking, and/or experience tutoring in a Writing Center or teaching undergraduate communication courses
- excellent communication skills
- a commitment to collaboration
- an appreciation for flexibility in a developing context
Preference will be given to applicants with at least three of the following:
- 5+ years of experience teaching writing at the tertiary level
- expertise in teaching writing for STEM disciplines, multimodal composition, media communication, or technical communication
- experience supporting graduate student writers
- demonstrated contributions to Writing Across the Curriculum and/or Writing Fellows programs
- demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
- experience working in international settings
This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should submit:
- a cover letter showing how the applicant’s experience and expertise fit the criteria listed above
- a curriculum vitae including the names of three referees, including at least one from a recent supervisor and one from someone who can address the applicant's teaching abilities
- a teaching philosophy demonstrating reflective practice
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled, but applications received by September 20 will receive fullest consideration for positions beginning in January 2020.
Please apply through this link https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/NazarbayevUniversity1/743999694594208-writing-and-communication-instructors-in-the-school-of-sciences-and-humanities?trid=821f67f1-f836-40fd-bcba-202ef80dc9ab
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in higher education. The strategic partner of SSH is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. All classes are taught in English.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
- competitive compensation
- housing based on family size and rank
- relocation allowance
- air tickets to home country, twice per year
- no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage
- educational allowance for children
Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Questions regarding the program or the position can be addressed to the program director, Karie Pieczynski, at firstname.lastname@example.org.