Library Specialist, Law Research and Liaison
Job Title: Library Specialist-Legal Research & Liaison
Department: UAEU Libraries
Division: Engagement & User Services– public services
Direct Supervisor's Job Title:
- Team Leader, Information and Reference Services
Subordinate’s Job Title(s):
To be determined Location on the Organization Chart Overall Objective of the Job Serve as the Libraries’ legal research expert and as the liaison to the College of Law. Assists in the provision of reference services; performs clerical (sometimes para-professional) reference services tasks. Tasks and Responsibilities
- Serve as the Libraries’ legal research expert and as the liaison to the College of Law.
- Works with the public services and information services departments to fulfill reference duties across all disciplines.
- Assists users in locating books, periodicals, and other library materials using basic library retrieval tools, such as the online catalog, journal databases, and other indexes.
- Assists in finding basic information in reference sources, verifying bibliographic citations, locating full text articles, checking book information in the online catalog, and identifying interlibrary call numbers.
- Receives new books from cataloging, and checks accuracy of labels
- Assists with other Public Services functions, such as circulation, reserve, or shelving, when necessary.
- Instructs in the use of the Library and all its information resources through
- Library tours/orientations
- Tutorials on research skills
- Customized subject/course-related instruction at the request of the faculty
- Provides general and specialized reference services at the Reference Desk and via email services – answering reference and research queries.
- Reviews requests for interlibrary loan/document delivery and facilitates for obtaining them. Keeps statistics on reference and directional questions
- Works evening and weekends on a rotating and shift basis
- Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Relationships & Communications
- Library staff, Directors, Dean.
- Faculty, Students, Library Users. Job Requirements Educational Level/ Required Certificates:
- Bachelor Degree in library science and/or a relevant subject discipline
Experience: Experience working in a library in a public service role Recommended Training Courses:
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Accuracy in searching information.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
- Knowledge of reference sources including e-resources.
- Proficiency in Office productivity software tools e.g. Microsoft office (word, Excel…etc.).
- Employee Name: Direct Supervisor Name: Employee Signature: Direct Supervisor Signature: Issue HR Manager Review HR Committee Review Version No. 1 Date: Date: Issue Date: 2017 Signature: Signature:
The candidate must have at least a Bachelor's degree in law, an understanding of the research process and the mission of academic libraries, and be fluent in Arabic.
Master's, PhD, or JD in legal field. A strong command of English is preferred.
The candidate must be extremely interested in education, research, and other matters related to the University's and Libraries' missions.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Division Libraries Deanship
Department Public Service Unit
Job Close Date 03-10-2019
Job Category Staff Salary 6000 to 15000 AED