Associate Director, Faculty Support
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Associate Director supervises a minimum of 13 employees within the Faculty Support Department. Provides management and coordination of administrative operations-related functions with minimal direct from the reporting director. Manage staff at least 50% of the time to achieve the research and teaching mission, goals, and objectives of the department. Partners with faculty to ensure support requirements are met with quality and accuracy.
The Associate Director leads and mentors staff adherence to GSB guidelines and departmental procedures. Acts independently, administer, and evaluates day-to-day activities of the unit, function or program by identifying and executing tasks and objective, making recommendations that support the mission of the FST. The Associate Director’s experience is focused on the services being provided and with seasoned judgement determines when to seek assistance and consult with the Director of Faculty Support. Daily interactions with assigned staff providing guidance and oversight as needed. There for this employee must be able to work in a fast-paced customer service environment with diverse clientele. The Associate Director would need to perform all the functions of the Faculty Assistants during peak times or due to lack of availability of one or more assistants. They would also organize and /or participate in outreach activities that may include developing communications and training, planning/promoting events and/or conferences.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Manage staff in the day-to-day operations for functional area(s) of responsibility. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees. Ensure work completion within schedule and constraints.
- May independently or in collaboration with human resources managers, guide faculty supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and programs.
- Evaluate business processes and operational and/or financial effectiveness. Analyze and resolve complex issues and provide alternative solutions as necessary. May lead process improvement for immediate unit.
- Analyze unit needs and make recommendations to leadership for changes in staffing, facilities, health and safety compliance, finance, technology and/or administrative functions. Work with the Chair and/or Dean’s Office regarding resources to support faculty activities and interests.
- Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university academic and administrative policies and procedures within an operating unit. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Manage the finances across all sources for the annual budget, including developing, monitoring, analyzing, forecasting and reporting.
- Manage and coordinate grants and contracts for the department. Ensure compliance with institutional and external requirements.
- Represent the unit’s business and academic operations within the organization/school.
- Manage student and faculty program administration for their unit.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills
- Working knowledge of accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Working knowledge of grants and contract administration.
- Strong negotiation and effective interpersonal skills.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases.
- Strong knowledge in industry standards and/or regulatory requirements.
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines.
- Subject matter expertise for area(s) of responsibility.
- Able to keep abreast of general industry knowledge and trends
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
- We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Job Code: 4131
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84517