Research Fellow, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Application closing date 02/10/2019
Salary £33,797 to £40,322 per annum
Job category/type Research
Queen's University Belfast is one of the prestigious Russell Group of UK research-intensive universities in the UK and Ireland, combining excellence in research and education with a student centred ethos, for our 24,000 students and 4,200 staff, funded through an annual turnover of some GBP 300m. As a driver of innovation and talent, based on excellence and global strategic partnerships, we offer generous employment terms and underpinned by excellent lifestyle benefits including opportunities for family friendly working and support for wellbeing.
Our five core values - Integrity, Connected, Ambition, Respect, Excellence - are shared by our staff and students, representing the expectations we have for ourselves and each other, guiding our day-to-day decisions and the way we behave as individuals in an international organisation.
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position that is available until 30 August 2020, working in the group of Dr Swadzba-Kwasny, based in the QUILL Research Centre, at the School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. To review current research please see: https://pure.qub.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/gosia-swadzbakwasny(1e81ae39-36ad-40a3-b04e-77140c48dc44).html
We are looking for an independent and creative researcher, with (or about to obtain) a PhD in Chemistry or related discipline, to work on the chemical conversion of waste polyolefin plastics to lubricant base oils.
You will have experience in at least one of the following: handling of air-sensitive materials, polyolefin chemistry and homogenous catalysis. Familiarity with stirred-tank reactor systems, GC analyses and analytical techniques relevant to oils and waxes will be an advantage.
You will be a fluent English speaker, with the ability to communicate and present research findings effectively in both academic and industrial environments. Furthermore you will be capable of writing high-quality reports and manuscripts for publication in research journals.
The successful candidate must have:
- Have or be about to obtain a relevant PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- At least 3 years of relevant research experience.
- Ability to carry out analyse, interpret and critically evaluate data, using a range of relevant techniques.
- Ability to prepare journal papers.
- Ability to supervise postgraduate students
- Ability to plan for specific aspects of research programmes at timescales of several weeks. Contribute to planning research group activities at a similar scale.
More searches like this
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Engineering & Technology Research Fellowships jobs in Belfast
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Physical Sciences Research Fellowships jobs in Belfast
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Chemical Engineering Research Fellowships jobs in Belfast
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Chemistry Research Fellowships jobs in Belfast