Business Analyst, Academic Analytics
Bargaining Unit: None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile: Manager; Program Leader (P5)
Work Location: Medical School Campus
Worksite Address: 100 Church Street South, New Haven, CT 06519
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Administration
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Reporting to the Director, Academic Analytics, primary responsibility for ongoing data management in support of faculty-centric analytics. Work in partnership with the Yale School of Medicine (YSM) finance office and other YSM and University offices to produce and present meaningful human resources, operational and financial reports and analyses to inform departments and advise management decision making. Supports faculty compensation related processes and analytics, including benchmarking, modeling and both standard annual and ad hoc compensation reviews and evaluations. Liaises with school and departmental leadership, faculty and staff to understand business needs and support the development of administrative, technical and analytical solutions.
Please submit a complete application which includes a cover letter.
- Support and/or lead the implementation of processes and projects that help ensure fair and reasonable compensation for faculty across YSM; support endeavors aimed at improving clarity and transparency in compensation setting and communications with faculty.
- Evaluates and analyzes salary and benefit data for YSM faculty. Interprets compensation and benefit plan documents and applies plan principles to compensation practices and benefit plan administration.
- Assists in the administration of YSM faculty compensation programs, including the annual merit review process.
- Provide YSM and departmental leadership with customized, usable benchmarking evaluations of YSM faculty compensation against published benchmark statistics and supplemental reports and analytics to inform and influence compensation setting practices.
- Work with YSM faculty, school leadership, and departmental staff to develop a comprehensive understanding of data and business needs. Develop and clearly present reports and analyses that help answer questions and guide decision making.
- Conduct research on various topics, including but not limited to compensation and benefit plan designs and programs and trends in academic medicine (e.g., faculty diversity). Clearly summarize and present findings and formulate recommendations.
- Utilize technical expertise, including an understanding of relational databases and the use of a variety of query and data retrieval tools, to extract, combine, manage and present data. Join data from disparate data sets in support of the goal of creating faculty centric reports and analyses that are holistic and span across mission areas (teaching, research, and patient care).
- On-going data management that promotes effective and efficient preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual standard reports. Design and development of custom and ad hoc reports that are clear, well-organized, and help users answer questions.
- Support data preparation for annual surveys and compensation related analyses. Work collaboratively with department business offices to collect and validate academic data, with an emphasis on data relevance and integrity.
- Identify process inefficiencies and make recommendations for improvements which serve to streamline processes and enhance and optimize productivity.
- Develop an understanding of the academic organizational structure and related data, including demographics, compensation, clinical measures, grant and contract information, and research space.
- Perform other projects as required.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and four years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Highly motivated and achievement oriented. Ability to be a proactive contributor who is detail-oriented, analytical, flexible, creative and has a high comfort level with ambiguity. Ability to work as a collaborative team player who values a feedback rich culture and transparency.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills capable of working with faculty and staff at all levels across the organization. Excellent writing and presentation skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple projects and perform well under deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Project management skills; ability to engage project teams, keep tasks moving forward, and see projects through to completion.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to analyze and interpret complex business data, processes and reporting. Strong understanding of relational databases and table relationships; ability to build large complex queries combining data from many sources.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Strong aptitude for systems and technical solutions; willingness to learn new systems and software applications. Proficiency in the use of MS Excel, MS Access and other query tools. Ability to perform lookups, parse and combine data, format worksheets, work with pivots, charts, graphs; create and use macros; understand VBA and other advanced Excel skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
MBA. Faculty compensation experience a plus. Experience with Workday.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus