Director of Sports Turf
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletic program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 123 NCAA championship titles, completed an unprecedented sweep of both the men’s and women’s Capital One Cups, and brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 25 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embodies a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way”, which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage, and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
We are seeking applicants for the position of Director of Sports Turf. Reporting to the Assistant Athletics Director, you will oversee a staff of 8 people and manage day-to-day turf management for all athletic playing fields and grounds for Stanford Athletics.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Oversee and direct 8 Union workers to manage the upkeep and use of all athletic playing surfaces and grounds
- Research, report and implement latest innovations in fields and grounds maintenance
- Develop strategic plans in equipment, staffing and water use efficiency.
- Design and oversee special project activities including field, drainage and irrigation system replacements;
- Ensure accurate goal placements, proper field markings, mounds, rubbers and bases.
- Clarify and resolve problems spanning multiple areas or technical fields and/or develop programs within assigned facilities
- Determine and procure necessary quantities of soils, sands, seeds, and fertilizers
- Oversee the daily operation and management of assigned facilities and programs, including scheduling and assigning work to staff and coordinating with staff, subcontractors, and/or vendors; overseeing staffing and performance evaluation of assigned staff; contributing to department or division staffing needs forecast.
- Clarify and resolve problems spanning multiple areas or technical fields and/or oversee or develop programs within assigned facilities.
- Develop and manage a budget for area of responsibility, including staffing, maintenance, contracts, etc.
- Develop, Bid, Hire, and Manage outside vendor service contracts as applicable.
- Participate in department/unit strategic management, including making recommendations involving short- term planning for facility-type projects and for longer-range programs/projects;
- Providing input into long-range financial, budgeting, and programmatic planning and development; providing input into the development of policies and procedures; interpret and manage policies and procedures for assigned area.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Ornamental Horticulture, Turf management, Engineering or other appropriate technical area, or combination of education training, and experience. Two or more years of experience managing facilities operations and maintenance staff in an environment with a variety of field and facility types.
- Six or more years of sports turf management experience is preferred.
- Great communications and positive relationships with outside groups, students, faculty, staff.
- Knowledge of environmental and safety rules, regulations, and policies. Ability to conduct job site inspections to ensure compliance.
- Demonstrated experience managing service contracts.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting planning specifications, documents, working drawings, and related reports.
- Must have the ability to work on deadline and handle several responsibilities simultaneously.
- Strong knowledge of current field trends and technologies.
- Significant independent judgment and self-motivation.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy.
Our culture andunique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply:
Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4362
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J