Associate Director, Employee Relations
Bargaining Unit: None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile: Leader (27)
Work Location: Medical School Campus
Worksite Address: 100 Church Street South, New Haven, CT 06519
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Human Resources
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
The Associate Director, Employee Relations - Yale Medicine, will partner with Yale Medicine Leadership to align HR objectives and initiatives to business strategy. The candidate will manage and execute the HR processes, including talent acquisition and development, succession planning and performance management. Additionally, the candidate will also oversee two teams: A HR Generalist team that directly partner with clinical departments within the Yale School of Medicine (YSM) Clinical Enterprise, and a team of Staff Administration that directly support the initiatives within Yale Medicine Administration.
This position will report to the Director, Yale School of Medicine Employee Relations (ER).
- Partners with senior leadership in policy making; develops and strategically positions human resources goals and objectives to successfully attract, retain, and motivate a highly talented and diverse workforce.
- Responsible for short and long term planning for the operation of various human resources functions managed by their staff.
- Identifies and directs human resources staff and resources to drive financial, operational, and budgetary success within the human resources department.
- Determines and develops goals for the work of their team of HR Generalists to execute human resources initiatives efficiently and effectively.
- Directs and monitors work assignments to ensure they are proceeding on schedule and meet the established quality standards.
- Translates HR Department level goals into functional level goals; writes and approves functional level goals.
- Guided by HR Department level strategy; anticipates issues; develops new solutions and/ or improved solutions executes changes new and enhanced programs consistent with University goals for maintaining a highly talented and diverse workforce.
- Recommends, analyzes and suggests policies, procedures and practices for consideration by senior leadership.
- Manages a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Minimum requirement of Bachelor’s Degree and six years of experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Well-developed decision-making, prioritization, and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills across all levels of the organization.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated leadership and coaching skills; ability to foster change and promote and implement improvement.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Effectively work in a matrixed organization; experience supporting executive level clients.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong organizational and time-management skills; demonstrate successful management of multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Prior leadership experience with direct reports.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Prior Human Resources Business Partner in healthcare or manufacturing setting. Master's degree in Human Resources or Industrial & Labor Relations. Experience working in a union environment.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus