Director of Strategic Initiatives
Job Code: 4143
This is a 2 year fixed term position.
Stanford’s Financial Management Services:
Stanford University is one of Silicon Valley's largest employers - and also one of the most unique. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. This passion makes Stanford an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging place to work. At the same time, our traditions of respect and collaboration sustain a humane, supportive environment in which to pursue your life and your career.
Financial Management Services (FMS) is a unit of the Business Affairs Office consisting of eight primary organizations: The office of the Senior Associate Vice President for Finance, Controller’s Office, Financial Operations & Compliance, Office of the Treasurer, Procurement Services, Global Business Services, Financial Systems & Reporting, and Strategic Initiatives, Service and Support. FMS works with other Business Affairs units to provide integrated financial, technical, and business services to enable excellence in financial management at the university. The Financial Management Services (FMS) organization is led by the Sr. Associate Vice President for Finance and is charged with leading and managing the financial and management accounting activities for the University.
Are you a strong communicator who knows how to inspire a shared vision? Are you meticulous with building a comprehensive work plan, well-organized, and know how to effectively manage a portfolio of projects? If yes, this may be the right opportunity for you!
We are seeking an experienced Director to join our team for a two-year assignment, with vast opportunity for growth and expansion. You will be instrumental in providing strategic leadership and direction of the key strategic initiatives which will highly impact the university. This influential role will manage one or more project portfolios; align programs, projects and operations to strategic objectives; and measure, rank and prioritize programs and projects with the senior leadership team. You will manage a team of project managers as well as partner and build relationships with a variety of Executive Management, Key Stakeholders including Senior Associate Deans, Subject Matter Experts, and fellow FMS Leaders. This position is located on the beautiful Stanford Redwood City campus and reports to the Senior Director of Business Strategy and Services.
Provide strategic leadership and direction on all aspects of key strategic initiatives including planning, funding, resourcing, managing and governing program activities in a manner that ensures their alignment with the university’s strategic objectives. Achieve goals and objectives through indirect and direct management of staff of various professional levels from multiple units across the institution. Propose new initiatives and lead the alignment of business and technical goals and related efforts for major programs and projects.
- Plan all aspect and delivery of large, complex programs and related activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the University.
- Propose and develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization in alignment with the University mission.
- Provide definition and management of large, complex programs with high visibility, priority, high risk and university-wide impact.
- Own and oversee project/program portfolio and strategic initiative planning
- Develop and implement goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of each program
- Possess a broad, enterprise-wide view of the business and drive strategies to align processes, people, technology and underlying governance.
- Lead selected critical program based initiatives that require cross functional engagement with key staff across the institution.
- Develop, oversee, and ensure adherence to established project methodologies and standards, governance framework, policy and procedures.
- Possess high level of influence and build relationships with key business and IT stakeholders in order to advise executive management on programmatic and policy development.
- Direct and manage strategic relationships both inside and outside of the university; maintain a high level of interaction and collaboration with clients and peers across the university.
- Influence the future and strategic direction of new implementation of emerging technologies to meet changing requirements, capabilities, and opportunities
- Create and help execute comprehensive change management strategy and communication plan relative to project/portfolio scope and stakeholders; orchestrate and lead change management methodologies underlying project success.
- Motivate and manage programs and specific project efforts of team members, resolve conflicts, and provide performance feedback to managers and directors.
- Direct staff and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization
- Train, mentor, and coach in the area of program management and related subjects
- Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least ten years of relevant experience
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certified, completion of a Project Management Certificate program, or certification in process.
- Leadership, supervisory, planning and change management skills
- Able to influence people, tackle problems, trouble shoot, think creatively and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large-scale, complex and enterprise projects or programs
- Exceptional and effective written and oral communication skills
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills to influence diverse audiences, including senior leadership
- Ability to build, engage, and lead cross-functional teams
- Exhibit resilience, problem-solving solutions and results-driven capabilities
- In-depth understanding of various project methodologies (waterfall, iterative, agile), their strengths and weaknesses and how/when to adapt them to project needs
- Understanding of project management tools, budget planning tools, resource allocation tools, agile tools, and issue/bug tracking tools.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Experience in an academic setting
- Subject matter expertise in IT, financial management and/or procure to pay processes
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy.
Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4143
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: M