Lead Programme Manager
Do you thrive on working in a complex environment, using your ability to navigate political and organisational issues, as well as your skills in project and programme delivery? Can you provide specialist change, leadership, programme and project management skills to facilitate and lead transformational change in areas that are new to this discipline and the benefit it brings? Can you lead and take ownership of activity across a number of initiatives?
The University of Leeds is involved in a wide range of large multi-million pound strategic initiatives aimed at supporting its academic mission of student education, research and innovation and internationalisation. These initiatives are large, of long duration, complex (involving many inter-dependencies) and represent a major investment by the institution. They are critical to the delivery of the university’s current and future strategy. Working with executive level senior stakeholders, you will apply leadership, programme, project and change management skills to deliver ambitious multi-faceted projects and programmes for the University of Leeds.
Programme and project teams are typically constituted at the start of each initiative according to the methodology developed by the business change team. Typically, these will involve representatives from IT, Business Change, HR and often Facilities and Estates. They will also include a business lead as a conduit to academic or business partners. You will lead a number of project managers in applying the University’s project and programme management methodology ‘Delivering Results’, as well as ensuring the project aligns to the University’s Principles for Delivering Change.
As there are multiple project managers working on these initiatives, where appropriate, this role will take ownership across the different project and programme management elements to bring all the various strands of the project together and will align and consolidate the different delivery plans into a single coherent over-arching plan together with associated reporting material. You will have the ability to balance priorities, deal with complex academic and financial information and succeed through cooperation and collaboration with others. You will be happy to articulate and embed
the benefits of change management methodologies; collaborate with other change specialists across the University to help shape further the University’s ‘Guide to Delivering Results’, as well as being comfortable working with limited supervision.
As the Lead Programme Manager, you must be able to demonstrate significant experience in working at a senior level in delivering both projects and programmes of work, as well as have experience of managing other senior project managers.
As a member of staff at the University of Leeds you’ll have access to a diverse range of benefits to help support your lifestyle. Some of these include:
- Annual Leave: 25 days paid holiday every year. Plus approximately 15.5 days off for bank holidays and days when the University is closed (depending on how many hours you work and our campus closure schedule);
- Work Life/Family Balance: A commitment to helping you achieve a work life balance, including flexible working opportunities; generous family leave packages, including maternity, paternity, adoption/surrogacy and parental/partner leave; an award winning on-campus nursery, Bright Beginnings, and childcare voucher scheme;
- Skills Development: Access to professional, personal and leadership development, including a high quality Staff and Departmental Development Unit and Staff Review & Development Scheme;
- Pensions: Access to one of three competitive pension schemes, with generous employer contributions;
- Facilities: An impressive range of facilities such as The Edge gym: a £12 million pound fitness centre, pool, climbing wall and sports halls all located on campus; an award-winning student union, including a supermarket, beauticians, cafes and bars; one of the UK’s largest and most renowned libraries;
- Reward and Recognition: Competitive pay structures and reward policies;
- Discounts and Expense Schemes: Save on shopping, public transport, cycling, healthcare and financial services. We can also help you with the cost of relocating to the local region (depending on meeting the eligibility criteria);
- Events: We hold events, exhibitions, seminars and lectures on a range of different topics, many of which are free.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Martin Folan, Project Management Team Manager
Tel: +44 (0)7545 530118, Email: M.Folan@leeds.ac.uk
Location: Leeds - Main Campus
Faculty/Service: Professional Services
School/Institute: Business Change Team
Category: Professional & Managerial
Grade: Grade 9
Salary: £50,132 to £58,089 p.a.
Post Type: Full Time
Contract Type: Ongoing
Closing Date: Sunday 22 September 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Downloads: Candidate Brief