Student Services Manager
Job Code: 7506
Job Grade: J
FTE: 100%, Exempt
School of Engineering, Department of Computer Science
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
The Computer Science Department Stanford University's Computer Science Department is part of the School of Engineering. The department offers the degrees Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy. It also participates in the following undergraduate inter-disciplinary programs: Symbolic Systems, and Mathematical and Computational Sciences. Founded in 1965, the Department of Computer Science is a center for research and education at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Strong research groups exist in areas of artificial intelligence, robotics, foundations of computer science, and systems. Basic work in computer science is the main research goal of these groups, but there is also a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research and on applications that stimulate basic research.
The Computer Science Department seeks a Student Services Manager to join its team. Reporting to the Associate Chair for Education, the Student Services Manager will supervise five full-time staff and manage the daily operations of the Educational Affairs Division within the Computer Science Department.
Your responsibilities include:
- Manage people, processes, and programs to implement the goals of the unit, department, or school. Make hiring decisions, provide coaching and mentoring, and manage performance and staffing levels.
- Identify, clarify, and resolve program issues and concerns with substantial significance in accordance with established policies and procedures which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment. Mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Respond to inquiries regarding university policies and procedures requiring interpretation; provide recommendation for correction.
- Develop long range planning and policy development for a school or program. Manage, develop, and forecast department and program budgets.
- Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university, academic and administrative policies within an organization or program. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Lead university or school-wide initiatives and campaigns.
- Independently make decisions regarding projects and initiatives within confines established by management. Represent school/department programs and initiatives to both internal and external constituents.
- Manage the implementation of technology to enhance effectiveness, compliance, and business processes.
- Identify, manage relationships, and negotiate with external and internal partners.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in higher education setting required.
- User knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. In-depth knowledge of PeopleSoft, BI Reporting, and GFS preferred.
- Ability to interpret and effectively communicate complex policies and procedures both orally and in writing to a diverse population.
- Ability to liaise with other University academic departments including the Student Services Center, Registrar’s Office, Graduate Life Office, and the UAR.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in a professional manner.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Strong leadership and strategic management skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing people.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task, manage deadlines, and deal with constant interruptions.
- Able to keep abreast of University, school, and department policies
- May work extended hours, evenings, or weekends.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Since its founding, Stanford’s pioneering spirit has embraced new ways of fulfilling its mission of research, education, and service. Today, we face a future of both promise and peril, marked by a breathtaking pace of change. We need new thinking and new approaches to anticipate and navigate this change, in order to deepen knowledge, address challenges and accelerate our contributions to society. By tapping into the wisdom of our campus community, alumni, and outside perspectives, Stanford leadership has developed a vision to guide our shared journey over the next decade and beyond. We seek talent driven to impact the future of Stanford’s legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, and course auditing. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ride sharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in student services, management, and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7506
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J