Senior Research Scientist
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Characterize and process special meteorite collection.
- Characterize and process meteorites from special collection.
- Return loaned museum material to source institutions.
- Organize remaining meteorites (trades, purchases, gifts, and samples for which provenance cannot be determined) and incorporate them into the GPS division's meteorite collection.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Geology or related field.
- Background in and working knowledge of meteorite classification and research literature on a wide variety of meteorites including ordinary and carbonaceous chondrites, primitive and asteroidal achondrites, lunar and martian meteorites, and irons.
- Ability to connect individual meteorites to their source, even where obscured by a lack of documentation.