Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Location: London Waterloo
Closing date: 28/08/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: University Education Services
As a key officer for the service, the role is to support and promote Diversity and Inclusive practice across BPP. Utilising key metrics, student feedback and scrutiny of current practice, the officer will develop and implement targeted initiatives and interventions and identify opportunities to integrate inclusive practice at BPP. The primary focus will be the student experience and student retention and achievement.
To assist the Head of Inclusion and Learning Support to ensure that BPP complies with its specific duties under the Equality Act 2010. This exciting role will lead the student facing diversity and inclusion activities for the University and Apprenticeship provision at BPP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your key duties will include:
- To identify appropriate projects which facilitate educational and social inclusion;
- To build engagement and understanding in Diversity and Inclusion across BPP;
- To lead on Diversity and Inclusion projects which improve the student experience and close attainment gaps;
- To develop and support student Diversity Ambassadors and Diversity groups;
- To respond to student and staff enquiries in relation to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion;
- To undertake consultations with students and key stakeholders;
- To design and implement training and development activities;
- To translate equality legislation into practice to ensure BPP meets statutory requirements;
- To produce and analyse statistical reports for the Head of Inclusion and Learning Support and identify trends; produce action plans and make recommendations to address identified areas for improvement;
- To assist with the implementation of BPPs Equality Strategy and ensure key information is disseminated to stakeholders: e.g. academic departments, Registry, Admissions, external stakeholders;
- To support the Head of Inclusion and Learning Support to ensure that all operational and academic practice is inclusive and sensitive to individual needs;
- To coordinate relevant marketing and promotion and celebrate Diversity;
- To establish and work to clear timescales; developing written documentation and correspondence and providing the required administration at the highest level;
- To champion Equality and Diversity at BPP and externally;
- To attend meetings internally and externally as required.
Additional Responsibilities Applicable to the Post holder
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as required commensurate with the grade of the position.
- Undertake all duties and responsibilities in compliance with the rules and regulations encompassing equal opportunities.
- Adhere, comply and work in accordance with University, Apprenticeships and Departmental policies, procedures and codes of conduct.
- Participate in training and professional development associated with the role.
Skills, knowledge, qualifications required for job
- A degree (at least at 2:2 or above);
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Inclusion, Equality and Diversity issues ideally in an educational setting;
- Extensive knowledge and experience of closing attainment/equality gaps, ideally in an educational context;
- Experience and skills for successful project management and delivery;
- An understanding of key diversity statistics, with excellent analytical skills and report writing capability;
- Experience of teaching or training: the role involves the design and delivery of training and knowledge exchange events;
- Must be familiar with MS Office and possess a good / advanced level of IT competency e.g. Excel and working with complex databases;
- Excellent written and communication skills, demonstrating an ability to prioritise a diverse workload;
- Experience of working in a team, working with informal authority, customer service experience, higher/further education experience, working with diverse client groups for professional service delivery;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to maintain a professional manner and calm approach in a busy office environment;
- A clear passion, ability and commitment to supporting and developing Equality and Diversity, through building relationships, instigating change and influencing others;
- An empathetic approach and excellent listening skills.
Please note the successful candidate will be required to undergo an Enhanced DBS check