At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced assistant, who enjoys working on a variety of projects? Do you want to broaden your knowledge in new areas where excellence is the key factor? Put in place your organizational expertise and provide a perfect service to all members of CERN’s Experimental Physics Department! CERN, take part!
The Experimental Physics Department’s Administration and General Services Group is responsible for providing administrative secretarial support to the Department, Experiments and Groups, as well as logistics support. Our services include general office duties in accordance with the Organization's administrative procedures.
You will join the Departmental Administrative Office, providing centralised and secretarial services, as well as specific services to the Management of the Experimental Physics Department. The office is responsible for contractual matters of all members of the personnel except Users. Our service closely works with HR and finance services for administrative formalities and procedures.
As Administrative Assistant in the Departmental Administrative Office, you will join a team of assistants and participate in the daily management of the office with special emphasis on information, communication and organizational services.
- Act as front office service for all categories of personnel queries from arrival to departure and provide them with assistance.
- Manage contracts follow-up.
- Deal with confidential information and files.
- Maintain physical and electronic documents, web pages, shared files, mailbox and records to provide up-to-date information; also maintain archived documents.
- Process requests for leaves, reimbursements, payments, travels according to the CERN rules in force.
- Keep up-to-date with and apply CERN’s administrative rules and procedures.
- Ensure smooth circulation of information as required within the Department.
- Liaise and communicate with other CERN services mainly in HR and finance.
- Replace other members of the DAO office during their absences.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of administration or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in an administrative service in an international environment.
- Customer service.
- Secretarial work.
- Archiving and records management: scientific information and document management.
- Use of Office software packages: knowledge of collaborative software tools would be an advantage.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; providing others with timely information.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Demonstrating accountability: presenting information accurately and objectively; working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; maintaining confidentiality.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies; seeking feedback from colleagues and other stakeholders about ways of increasing competence.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and communicate in both languages in professional contexts as well as draft texts for publications and official communications.
- Any additional language knowledge will be considered as an asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.09.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EP-AGS-2019-83-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further